ASA pushes forward for textbook bill

PHOENIX – The Arizona Students’ Association may have succeeded with passing legislation aimed at lowering the price of textbooks, but they’re not there.

On Thursday, Gov. Janet Napolitano officially signed legislation into law that would require more disclosure on the part of textbook publishers on information such as price and changes in editions to the faculty members and staff who choose the books.

Tiffany Troidl, ASA government affairs director, said she doesn’t think the Arizona Board of Regents will have any trouble implementing policies as directed by the textbook law by Jan. 1.

“”It’s a lot stronger than what we currently have, which is nothing,”” she said.

In addition, ASA is looking to conduct a signing ceremony with Napolitano this summer, Troidl said.

Arizona’s law shows that textbook prices are an important part of higher education, and that students are being active citizens in their community, said Nicole Miller, director of the Make Textbooks Affordable Campaign, a national effort to lower the price of textbooks.

“”The Arizona legislation is a great example of students speaking up in the legislature and making politicians pay attention to the issues that students care about,”” she said.

Michael Slugocki, the vice chair of ASA, said the law is a significant victory in the push to lower textbook prices, an initiative ASA has been involved with since the start.

“”It just shows that the fight isn’t over and there’s more that we can do,”” he said.

Now, ASA is working on increasing the competitiveness of the textbook market by attempting to get “”open textbooks”” into the market, said Tiffany Troidl, the government affairs director for ASA.

Open textbooks are a low-cost alternative to a traditional textbook and are usually available online or for free. They can be printed at a low cost as well, according to the Make Textbooks Affordable Campaign.

“”There’s not really competition to keep prices low like there are in other markets,”” Troidl said.