Banged-up softball wraps up homestand

Arizona ace Taryne Mowatt, right, prepares to fire during the Wildcats 4-3 loss to Texas A&M Feb. 24. With injuries starting to take their toll on her teammates, the righty has had to step up even more.
    Arizona ace Taryne Mowatt, right, prepares to fire during the Wildcats’ 4-3 loss to Texas A&M Feb. 24. With injuries starting to take their toll on her teammates, the righty has had to step up even more.

The No. 2 Arizona softball team is battling a myriad of injuries as it takes on Creighton tonight in a doubleheader at Hillenbrand Stadium.

The mid-week contest comes on the heels of a sweep of Missouri over the weekend. The Wildcats (14-3) relied heavily on pitcher Taryne Mowatt, who went the distance in all three games despite suffering from blisters on her pitching hand.

Mowatt (9-3) is carrying the load because freshman Sarah Akamine is unable to pitch due to arm soreness.

“”We have some injuries and people just working on some things right now, but hopefully they’ll be back soon,”” Mowatt said. “”I’ll still be depended on, but not as much and not the only one.””

All-American shortstop Kristie Fox has also been hampered by an arm injury and was only able to bat as the designated player for the last two games of the Missouri series.

Fox felt something pop in her surgically repaired right elbow as she threw out a baserunner Friday night, said UA head coach Mike Candrea.

After sweeping the Tigers, the Wildcats took yesterday off so the team could recuperate before tonight’s doubleheader against the Bluejays (7-1).

“”The biggest issue right now is just to make sure that we get more people healthy and ready to contribute because you just can’t get through a season riding one pitcher, that’s for sure,”” Candrea said.

But Candrea was adamant that the injuries would not be used as an excuse, saying that facing adversity this early in the season would be good preparation for Pacific-10 Conference play and the Women’s College World Series later in the season.

Senior center fielder Caitlin Lowe agreed, saying this tough stretch will be beneficial in preparing the younger players for what lies ahead.

“”It’s going to get a lot harder in the Pac-10, and this is really just good practice for us because we’re going to come out and play the same teams two or three times in a row and we just need to be ready for that,”” she said.

Tonight’s games signal the end of a season-long 15-game homestand.

Arizona will be on the road for the next two weekends, when it travels to Waco, Texas, Friday through Sunday to face Baylor before going to Fullerton, Calif., to take part in the Judi Garman Classic March 15-18.

“”The quick turnaround this week is not something that we really need right now,”” Candrea said. “”But when we scheduled games, obviously we didn’t think we’d be in this situation.””