What (not) to wear the first week

The first week of classes is your opportunity to make an important first impression. You are not going to meet people if you are the girl in the back of class who looks like she had a rough night, rolled out of bed and came to class only to fall asleep mid-lecture. People are attracted to confidence, which stems from feeling good about yourself. When dressed to impress, you are more likely to make the lasting impression you hoped for. Here are some tips for choosing your first week attire:

• No sweatpants or basketball shorts.

While it may be difficult not to gravitate toward your comfier clothes, please refrain. Someone who doesn’t care about their looks appears lazy and unapproachable. These are not the impressions you want to make during the first week. Save these outfits for cozy nights in, where they cannot see the light of day and cannot hurt your stylish reputation.

• No high heels.

It is your first day of school, not your first frat party. It is important to remember that while looking nice is essential, looking like you are trying too hard is an even greater turn off. Your shoes should always be comfortable. We have all seen those girls, decked out in four-inch heels, wincing with every step. Don’t be the girl who looks like she just learned to walk, or worse, falls in her way-too-high platforms on the UA Mall at lunchtime.

• No “Saturday night out” outfits.

No backless dresses, no miniskirts, no bra hanging out of your shirt, no see-through shirts and definitely no heels with shorts. This look can easily be mistaken for a walk of shame ensemble. You definitely do not want “easy” or “party girl” to be others’ first impressions of you.

• Wear your size.

There is nothing worse than a size eight wearing a size two. Trust me on this one: When you wear your true size, it looks better. No one knows the size on the tag but you, and there is no shame in getting something a little bigger so it fits your body better. No matter what your size, you can be beautiful and stylish with the right outfit.

• Accessorize.

A chunky necklace, single strand of pearls, cute belt, summer scarf or headband adorned with a simple bow can make an outfit. Mix up necklaces with each other and don’t be afraid to add some color to spice up your outfit. Just remember, too much can make you look like a hot mess and ruin your ensemble.

• Have confidence.

If you are uncertain about the outfit you chose, do not wear it. Choose something that you usually get compliments on, or that you feel good in. If your stomach is your problem area, wear a loose top. If you hate your legs, wear some flattering skinny jeans. There is nothing more attractive than a confident girl.