Police Beat

A woman was arrested for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., at 2:54 p.m. Feb. 23.

Upon arrival, an officer met with an employee who directed him to a woman, saying, “”This is the girl who stole the books,”” according to reports.

The employee said the woman walked out of the store with four to five books she did not pay for.

The woman was getting into a van parked in the traffic circle at the Student Union Memorial Center when he approached her. He told her to stop and come with him, and she did.

When the officer asked the woman if she was in the store, she said, “”Yes, I took some books. I gave them to my friend,”” according to reports.

When asked where her friend was, she said, “”He left on his bike,”” according to reports. She said the man was homeless and did not have a home address or telephone number that she knew of.

When asked if she needed the books for a class, the woman said, “”No. I’m not a student yet, I just needed them to get some money.””

The officer asked her how she was going to get money for the books, and she said the friend “”was going to take the books and loan them to some guy for money to give to me,”” according to reports.

The officer asked her who this second man was, and she said she didn’t know.

The woman said her friend would probably call her later using a payphone. The woman admitted to taking four books from the store, a total the employee confirmed via video.

The woman was cited and released for shoplifting.

Her friend has two outstanding warrants from the University of Arizona Police Department for theft and two traffic-related warrants from the Marana Police Department. He could not be located.

A man was arrested for driving while intoxicated outside Coronado Residence Hall, 522 E. Fifth St., at 2:05 a.m. Feb. 24.

An officer was monitoring traffic on East Sixth Street near North Fremont Avenue at 1:16 a.m., when he observed a car traveling 42 mph in a 30-mph zone.

The officer attempted to stop the car near North Park Avenue and East Sixth Street, but it kept traveling westbound to North Euclid Avenue, where the car turned right and then right again into the south parking lot of Coronado.

The officer approached the driver and could smell an odor of alcohol.

The man was able to provide his license, registration and insurance without difficulty.

His eyes were bloodshot, his face and neck were red and his speech was slurred.

After the officer performed various DUI tests, the man was arrested.

Someone broke two 15-inch-by-15-inch windows at Hopi Residence Hall, 1440 E. Fourth St., between 10 p.m. Feb. 23 and 3 a.m. Feb. 24.

An officer arrived at the dorm at 3:15 a.m. Feb. 24.

He noticed two south-facing windows were broken on the first floor, but that the screens were intact.

Glass shards were inside the room, leading the officer to believe an object broke the windows from the outside.

A search of the area yielded an instrument used in the breaking of the windows.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.