Get fuzzy: No-Shave November is here

Turki Allugman
    Turki Allugman / Arizona Daily Wildcat

It’s November again, and so begins the dreaded No-Shave November. Well, it could be dreaded if participants don’t keep clean.

If you don’t know what it is, No-Shave November is exactly what it sounds like: don’t shave for the whole month of November, no matter how bad it might look.

“I have done it a few times and am contemplating doing it again this year,” said Alex Lopez, an environmental sciences senior. “Your face keeps warm, you save money on shaving equipment and the ladies love the rugged lumberjack look.”

But both Lopez and Max Roth, an electrical engineering senior, agree that itchiness is the worst problem with No-Shave November. Both veterans of the tradition, they contend that it’s something men should try at least once.

“I’ve always seen it as an excuse for men when they’re in that awkward phase of growing a beard,” said Roth.

There wasn’t a consensus, though, on whether or not women should participate.

“Women shouldn’t ever really want to have long leg hair,” said Roth. “… if it’s under the pants and she’s not planning on getting any, go for it.”

Sarah Laus, an accounting sophomore, didn’t think girls should participate, either.

“If we didn’t live in Arizona, it’d work out,” she said. “But since we do, I think girls should shave.”

Overall, men and women both participate, and sometimes it’s not just for the fun of it.

Heather Devers, a natural resources junior, said she would only use body hair for revenge if she had a boyfriend who participated.

“Other than that, I rather enjoy my soft and smooth body parts,” said Devers. But should the aforementioned scenario take place, she said, “I would shave nothing.”

If you participate this year, just keep in mind that not everyone looks good with facial hair or body hair.

“As long as no neck-beards are to be grown, I’m fine with it,” said Devers. “There is nothing OK with just being able to grow hair on your neck. Either you are able to grow all out, or you shouldn’t be growing at all.”

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Greg @Philoboarder43.