Arizona soccer stays undefeated after beating Tennessee Tech 3-0

Arizonas+womens+soccer+team+getting+ready+for+the+game+against+Washington+State+on+Sunday%2C+Oct+21+at+Mulcahy+Stadium.+The+final+score+was+a+2-1+win+for+the+wildcats.++
Lexi Horsey
Arizona’s women’s soccer team getting ready for the game against Washington State on Sunday, Oct 21 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was a 2-1 win for the wildcats.

The Arizona Wildcats’ soccer team beat Tennessee Tech 3-0 on Sunday in Tempe, its second straight victory to open the season. Arizona goalkeeper Hope Hisey kept her second clean sheet in two games.

The ‘Cats looked a step faster than the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles from the first whistle, but it took just about half an hour for the ‘Cats to separate themselves from Tech on the scoreboard. Emily Knous received a pass above the top left corner of the box, cut inside to create space and curled a shot far post. Tech goalkeeper Isabelle Austin was able to parry the shot, but only as far as Iliana Hocking, who redirected the ball into the back of the net. 

Arizona held onto its one goal lead for about 45 minutes, when they struck again. Arizona whipped a corner kick into the box, where the ball took several deflections, until Sam Falasco found the ball at her feet and slotted it home to double Arizona’s lead.

Arizona put the game to rest five minutes later when they put another goal on the scoreboard. Jada Talley darted up the right channel before laying it off for Brooke Wilson to hammer home from the top of the box, her third goal of the year. 

Arizona played a stifling defense, allowing only two shots in the first half and a single shot in the second 45. A stat that shows how little possession Tech had in its attacking third, Arizona allowed but one corner-kick to Tech, while earning 11 themselves.

Arizona starts their season with this being their second shutout in a row. Including the friendly against San Diego, Arizona has gone 270 minutes to start the season without conceding.

Twenty Wildcats saw minutes against Tech, which is 76% of the roster. This shows depth on the bench and that head coach Tony Amato is more than willing to rotate players in and out.

Arizona returns to Mulcahy Stadium, where they’ll host Oklahoma on Sept. 6th, at 7:00 PM.

Follow Max Cohen on Twitter