Key stats from Arizona football’s loss against Colorado

Ryan Wohl

Gunner Cruz (#9) lines up to snap the ball against the Colorado Buffaloes on Oct. 16, in Boulder, Colo. 

The Arizona football team dropped possibly one of their worst losses of the season on Saturday, falling 34-0 on Saturday against Colorado. Here are three key stats that stood out in the loss. 

3-for-15 on third down

One of the most important aspects of a winning football game is to succeed on third down, and the Wildcats were unable to do that against the Buffaloes, who went 6-for-13 themselves on third down. Arizona started to show some promise in this area the last two weeks with Jordan McCloud undercenter, going 6-for-15 against UCLA and 7-for-15 against Oregon, but this is a completely different offense with Gunner Cruz undercenter. 

RELATED: Arizona gets shutout by Colorado 

71 rushing yards for Jalen John 

What was arguably the lone bright spot for Arizona in this loss was the burst and explosiveness showcased by Jalen John, who took 11 carries for 71 yards. He showed some flashes in the loss against NAU where he took five carries for 37 yards that included a couple of solid big runs. John has likely earned himself more playing time moving forward after this big performance. 

Eight catches for Stanley Berryhill III

The other lone bright spot you can argue for Arizona was of course Berryhill, who continues to work as the most consistent playmaker for Arizona no matter who is undercenter. The definition of being quarterback proof, Berryhill finds ways to get open and allow for the easy throw from no matter who is throwing him the ball. He has caught at least five passes in all six games with at least eight receptions in half of those games. 

The Wildcats will host Washington next Friday on ESPN2 with kickoff scheduled for 7:30 p.m. MST. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter