Clinic blasts calls for more protection in porn industry

LOS ANGELES — The announcement this week that an adult film performer tested positive for HIV prompted a California clinic Wednesday to blast AIDS activists and public health officials for using the incident to renew calls for mandatory condom use and added oversight of the porn industry.

“”The misfortune of a patient testing positive for HIV has been turned into a tragic farce by the efforts of groups to exploit the patient for their political and financial gain,”” the Sherman Oaks-based Adult Industry Medical Healthcare Foundation said in a statement.

The clinic, known as AIM, noted in the statement that it is complying with all county, state and federal laws regarding both reporting the infection and protecting patient privacy.

“”Under law, reporting to Los Angeles County HIV Epidemiology Program can only occur upon the return of a Western Blot test. That test was taken immediately upon the first indication of a potential infection, but the results take one week to return,”” the statement said.

Last year, an Alameda County Superior Court judge issued an injunction barring a request by state workplace safety officials for the work history of a performer who had tested HIV-positive at AIM.

“”Through the press, the state is making the same unlawful demands again, while knowing that the state is under a binding injunction barring it from demanding access to those kinds of records,”” the statement said.

The statement did not include any new information about the individual who tested HIV-positive, except to say that “”it is impossible to know if the patient acquired the HIV virus from private conduct or on-camera activity.””

AIM officials have so far refused to release the patient’s gender, the companies he or she worked for, when they received the positive test result or how many people have been quarantined as a result.