Little known facts about the Colorado Buffs

Chances are, you probably don’t know much about the Colorado Buffaloes’ football program.

You probably don’t know much about the University of Colorado or the city of Boulder either.

In fact, the only thing you probably know about Colorado at all is that it was the first state to legalize recreational marijuana use.

And that’s okay — because there really isn’t much to know.

Outside Magazine rated Boulder the No. 1 Sports Town in America, not because of its hugely successful collegiate programs, but because of the vast number of recreational activities it offers year round. These include hiking, biking and hitting bongs. I mean, hitting the slopes.

In 2000, the CU adopted an honor code. In each of its classrooms, there is a plaque that says: “On my honor, as a University of Colorado at Boulder student, I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance.”

A couple of notable CU alumni include the music group 3OH!3 and Matt Stone and Trey Parker, co-creators of “South Park”.

Colorado’s mascot became the Buffaloes back in 1934. It happened at the homecoming game, and was chosen through a submission contest to the school newspaper. The person with the winning mascot won a grand prize of $5. Prior to the Buffaloes, Colorado had several mascots, from the Yellow Jackets to the Big Horns.

Colorado’s mascot, Ralphie the Buffalo, is brought out on the field by her wranglers every game before each half.

The Colorado Buffaloes were invited to join the Pac-12 in 2010 but haven’t done much other than suffer chronic losses. Colorado has managed to win a meager three games in Pac-12 play, only one at home, against Arizona in 2011.

The Buffs weren’t always such a disgrace to college football, though. In 1990, they won the National Championship in a game against Notre Dame with a dramatic final score of 10-9.

That game was just a reflection of the drama that followed the Buffaloes all season. For example, during the last play of a game against the Missouri Tigers, the Buffaloes ran for five downs. This was obviously an error by the officials, who didn’t keep track of the drives accurately. But in the end, the Buffs ran in for a touchdown on the fifth down, going on to win the game.

Football just isn’t the University of Colorado’s claim to fame anymore, but its outdoor activities, beautiful scenery and other mile-high activities compensate for what it lacks in athletics.

—Follow Scarlett McCourt @scarlettnoelani