UA golf set for NCAAs

While the Arizona women’s golf team knows its place in the NCAA tournament, the men’s team is sweating out the release of the tournament field.

“”It’s hard to say at the moment (whether UA will receive a bid or not), we just have to sit tight and wait for the results to come in,”” said junior Tarquin MacManus, UA’s scoring leader.

MacManus, the individual champion in last year’s Southeast regional at Central Florida, has excelled in postseason play.

The Queensland, Australia, native and his teammates appeared to have a solid grasp on one of the available at-large spots but may have put their postseason hopes at risk after finishing ninth at the Pacific 10 Conference Championships.

The Wildcats are currently

No. 38 in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin performance index.

The women’s team clinched a berth in the NCAA tournament by winning the Pac-10 tournament, and was later assigned to the West regional, which is hosted by Stanford this year. The Wildcat women are currently the nation’s No. 3 team according to Golfweek/Sagarin.

The two tournaments have one big difference — the men’s bracket has six regional locations: Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Yale, San Diego State and Washington, while the women’s bracket includes three regional locations: East Carolina, Indiana and Stanford.

The top seven teams in each bracket advance to the NCAA Championships.

The men’s team finished second at last year’s regional, 11 strokes behind Central Florida. Arizona women’s golf finished seventh at least year’s West regional, hosted by ASU.

The women’s tournament begins May 6, while the men’s tournament begins May 13.