Icecats dominate weekend start a three-game win streak

After going 3-6 in the past nine games, the No. 18 Arizona club hockey team (13-8-2) has turned it around with a three-game winning streak.

With a win against Saint Louis last weekend, the Icecats took that momentum into this weekend against Scranton (4-14).

The Icecats dominated both games against the Ice Royals with a 6-0 win on Saturday and a 7-2 win on Friday.

“”We’re a top-10 team,”” Icecats head coach Leo Golembiewski said. “”Arizona is one of the quickest teams if not the quickest team in the (American Collegiate Hockey Association). We’re a good hockey team, but you can’t pick and choose when you want to play.””

Saturday’s game was dominated from start to finish by Arizona, including the four-goal second period that put the game away for the Icecats.

Freshman forward Keith Patterson had his first career goal as an Icecat in his fourth game played.

forwards Craig Irwin and Scott Marshall, along with sophomore left winger Robbie Nowinski added to the second period output.

Center Cody Morin and left-winger John Hansen also added two more goals in the third.

Junior goalie Luke Edwall posted a shutout with 26 saves.

“”Both of us (Edwall and Boddy) were just a little pissed off we were taking heat from Coach… We just came out and shut the door,”” Edwall said.

Friday night’s game was controlled all night by the Icecats with goalie Nick Boddy in the net.

The sophomore had 38 saves on 40 shots to anchor the team on its way to a dominating victory.

Center Matt Conover and Irwin led the team with two goals apiece.

Right- winger Bryan Meagher and defenseman Erik Kowalek added a goal apiece

“”We played a lot more physical (Friday),”” Irwin said. “”Last week we played physical. We had a lotta fights, but we didn’t hit. You play a lot better every time you hit the guy with the puck because then they’re gonna be scared to touch the puck. Playing a lot more physical was the difference.””

The Icecats play next weekend against Weber State and will be on the road until Feb. 15. “”Our plan is to go 11-0 the rest of the time, and that’s what we’re expecting, and hopefully everyone else is too,”” Irwin said.