Arizona baseball wins behind James Farris’ complete game shutout

Senior James Farris struck out nine in Arizona’s 13-1 win over Kent State at Hi Corbett Field on Feb. 14. Farris struck out 10 in a complete game shutout of Alcorn State on Saturday.

A schedule adjustment didn’t make a difference for Arizona or its ace James Farris.

The Arizona baseball team (4-2) defeated Alcorn State 6-0 in the first game of a three game series.

Other than holding Alcorn State (0-6) at zero runs, Farris (2-0) finished with 10 strikeouts, which is one more than his first start of the season on Feb. 14. Saturday Farris pitched his fifth career complete game. Last season he only had one complete game, and it came on May 25, his final start of the season.

“James’ performance was amazing,” said third baseman Cody Ramer.

Being on the field with Farris, Ramer has a view not many people at the game get to have.

Ramer said Farris was locating his fastballs well and was getting ahead of the hitters.

“When Farris does well, he allows us to be a better defense, too,” Ramer said.

According to head coach Andy Lopez, despite the fact that Farris is not a real hard thrower, his strength is that he knows how to keep players off-balance.

“James Farris obviously pitched very well,” Lopez said. “He had a lot of command on his secondary stuff.”

When the seventh inning rolled around, Farris only had 73 pitches for the night, which is why Lopez decided to let him pitch a complete game.

Now that he has recorded two starts as the ace for Arizona, Farris said he is starting to become more comfortable in his new role as the Friday night guy.

“I felt pretty confident,” Farris said. “I just felt like I had pretty good location with everything.”

Offensively, the Wildcats’ Saturday starting lineup and batting order were different once again.

Lopez said the reason for that is that the team is still missing things offensively, and he is still looking to find the right situations and roles for the right players.

“I know Lopez likes to switch around just to make us feel comfortable with the uncomfortable,” Ramer said.

Ramer said Lopez’s post game talk was about how the team has to improve with its bats, especially with its hit-and-run execution.

“We were OK offensively,” Lopez said. “I still saw a lot of things that were missing. We don’t feel like we’re there yet, offensively.”

Arizona will return to Hi Corbett Field on Sunday for a double-header. First pitch for the first game is scheduled for 2 p.m., and the second game will begin at 6 p.m.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal