Giffords moved from Houston hospital to rehabilitation center

Incumbent Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, left, said, So southern Arizona, Im looking forward to another two years. I look forward to listening to you, to working for you, to speaking up for you.
Incumbent Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, left, said, “”So southern Arizona, I’m looking forward to another two years. I look forward to listening to you, to working for you, to speaking up for you.””

LOS ANGELES — Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, shot in the head during a mass shooting outside a supermarket in Tucson, Ariz., continues her remarkable recovery and was moved Wednesday from a Houston hospital to a nearby rehabilitation facility.

Giffords, whose condition was upgraded from serious to good, was taken from Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center hospital to TIRR Memorial Hermann, where her rehabilitation will begin, according to television footage shot by local stations and broadcast by the national cable networks.

A news helicopter photographed Giffords being wheeled into the facility on a gurney.

Giffords had been meeting with constituents Jan. 8 when a lone gunman opened fire, hitting her in the head. Six people were killed in the attack and 13, including Giffords, were injured.

The three-term Democratic congresswoman had been treated in Tucson, then taken to Texas, where she had been in the intensive care unit since her arrival last week.

Jared Lee Loughner pleaded not guilty Monday to federal charges of trying to assassinate the congresswoman and two of her aides. Loughner also faces murder charges in the deaths of federal employees, including a judge and a Giffords aide.