Career Services hosts recruiters from 102 grad programs at UA Graduate School Day

Robert Alcaraz
Robert Alcaraz / Arizona Daily Wildcat Anna Guzman, a UCLA graduate coordinator, showcases what the university has to offer grad students in the Grand Ballroom of SUMC on Nov. 7.

UA Career Services hosted on Wednesday its biggest UA Graduate School Day since the office started the event six years ago.

The event gave undergraduate students the opportunity to talk to recruiters from 102 different graduate programs around the country and learn about the cost, application process and what they should be doing early on to prepare for graduate school.

“I’ve learned a lot,” said Jacob Netemeyer, an environmental studies senior. “I try to ask just general questions, not necessarily about the person’s school. Most of the time, people seem very knowledgeable.”

Susan Miller-Pinhey, the marketing and special events manager of UA Career Services, said the graduate school fair has been growing since it started, and many schools brought multiple departments this year.

“Hopefully it’s helpful,” Miller-Pinhey said. “Of course the recruiters have to be happy with the caliber of our students attending or they wouldn’t come back.”

Mayo Clinic’s medical education department has had a table in previous years, according to Jenny Ho, the clinic’s education administrator. Ho said she noticed that students are attending the fair earlier on in their undergraduate career this semester, which allows her to offer them an internship that the college only offers to sophomores and juniors.

“They all seem really interested and enthusiastic about Mayo and not a lot of them have heard about our program so it’s great to be able to share information,” Ho said. “It’s good because they’re preparing early.”

Netemeyer said although the fair was helpful in providing him with basic information about graduate school, he would like to see more public schools attend the fair.

“There’s a lot of private schools here and I’m looking for more public schools,” he said. “They should do it more often, just have a solid rotation of schools come through.”

Nathan Falberg, a junior studying economics and political science, said he asked recruiters more specific questions like what can make a student’s application stand out. Attending the fair as a junior rather than a senior helped him get in the right mindset and prepare in a timely manner, he added.

“I think the event is fantastic. There are a lot of different universities here, a lot of different schools,” Falberg said. “I think that coming to this and really speaking with a lot of the different representatives helped me to kind of determine where it is that I want to go on my master’s program.”