Softball eager to take on Baylor in rematch

Colin Prenger
Colin Prenger / Arizona Daily Wildcat The UA softball team defeated the University of New Mexico Lobos Saturday, Oct. 15. The Wildcats beat the Lobos 9-1

The No. 13 Arizona softball team is heading to Texas this weekend to face off against No. 15 Baylor in a three-game series. The first game is on Friday at 6:30 p.m.

The Wildcats (16-4) dominated the College of Charleston series last week, outscoring their opponents by a combined 22-0 and committing virtually no errors on defense.

“We go Friday, Saturday, Sunday against Baylor in Waco. We just need to take it one day at a time,” said head coach Mike Candrea.

Baylor pitcher Whitney Canion is out with a torn ACL, which will relieve some pressure for Arizona, as she is one of the Bears’ best pitchers.

Last March the team struggled against them with Canion at the mound. This year, the team knows what to expect and is back with a vengeance.

“Baylor is definitely an offensive-driven team and last year we had trouble with them so we went to work this week and took it to practice and really amped it up,” pitcher Kenzie Fowler said. “I think our defense has been stellar.”

Fowler will take the mound for Arizona, and the junior is coming off a solid stretch in which she allowed just three hits and no runs in 12 innings against Charleston.

Wildcats pitcher Shelby Babcock pitched the first no-hitter of her career and was one walk away from a perfect game on Saturday.

“Going into this season, it’s going to take two pitchers to get us where we want to go, and right now I think we have two solid ones,” said Candrea.

The Wildcats, however, have taken the week to strengthen the defense with the goals of keeping errors to a minimum against Baylor’s offense-driven lineup.

“We know what we’re going into this time. It’s a place that’s maybe a little bit of a hostile environment,” Fowler said. “It just goes up from here, I think we’re right where we need to be, we just need to make sure we keep moving forward each week.”