2013 Homecoming king and queen take their thrones

Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock/The Daily Wildcat Alexis Del Castillo (left), an English and and creative writing senior. and Courtney James Broome (right), a psychology senior, stand on the after being named the 2013 Homecoming king and queen on Thursday at Main Gate Square.

Hundreds of spectators decked out in red and blue, gathered on University Boulevard Friday to participate in the Bear Down Friday Pep Rally for Homecoming 2013.

The rally kicked off with a speech by Rich Rodriguez, head football coach, and concluded with the naming of the Homecoming 2013 king and queen.

Alexis Del Castillo, a senior studying English and creative writing took the title for Homecoming queen.

Courtney Broome, a psychology senior, won the title for homecoming king.

Students, alumni and fans of all ages cheered with raucous energy throughout the event, which included performances by UA cheerleaders and the pom-line, as well as the marching band.

“It’s a great turnout, the fans are enthused and we appreciate all the support they give us,” said Greg Byrne, athletic director for the UA. “It gives everybody a chance to get together and get fired up about what’s going on this weekend and help them understand what a difference each person makes by being here and supporting our teams and our student athletes.”

After a performance by the band that included a medley by the Beatles, the ten men and women of the homecoming court nominees were introduced on a temporary stage on University Boulevard.

When Broome, who is the captain of the cheerleading team, was announced as king, his fellow cheerleaders erupted in cheers and applause.

“Courtney is a great guy – he’s a great leader… He embodies the spirit of U of A,” said Emma Garner, a UA graduate and former cheerleader.

Sporting a black tuxedo and a high-top fade, Broome was all smiles after the ceremony.

“I can’t even explain it, it’s just so amazing,” Broome said. “I’m from Tucson… so it’s a great honor [to] do it for the hometown.”

Del Castillo drew an equally boisterous reaction from the crowd when she received her crown.

“I honestly wasn’t expecting [to win],” Del Castillo said. “I’m just very, very honored.”

Nominated by her sorority sisters from Chi Omega, Del Castillo was mobbed by picture-snapping friends after being named homecoming queen.

“She’s responsible, she’s dedicated, smart, funny—all those great things that a girl should be, she has it,” said Lissette Ruiz, a psychology senior who is a close friend of Del Castillo. “That’s exactly why we voted for her to be a queen, and that’s what we got.”

The new homecoming queen could hardly contain her emotion following her crowning.

“I’m shaking, I just feel honored that everyone came and supported me,” Del Castillo said. “It’s just an amazing feeling.”