ASUA Senate votes on 2014-15 budget

Ethan McSweeney

The ASUA Senate and ASUA president Issac Ortega discuss the 2014-2015 ASUA budget in a meeting inside the ASUA offices on Thursday. The senate voted to approve the proposed budget.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate voted unanimously to approve the ASUA operating budget for the 2014-2015 school year on Thursday.

Two additional items were discussed and voted on at the meeting, which was led by Jordan Allison, executive vice president of ASUA.

Before voting to approve the budget, ASUA senators discussed changes to the budget, which was drafted by Fabio Mire, ASUA treasurer, Issac Ortega, ASUA president, Jordan Allison and Daniel Douglas, ASUA administrative vice president.

The budget listed the total funds available for ASUA as $26,420.15 after operating expenses as well as the cost of debts, salaries and stipends. The total cost of expenses was $1,673,460.45 and the total operating expenses come to $1,262,907.45.

The budget listed $1,699,880.60 in revenue from the last school year, including $908,650 from student fees. Student fees fund ASUA projects such as SafeRide, the University Emergency Medical Services program and Spring Fling.

The senate also approved a funding request from Bear Down Camp. The four-day camp is run by UA students to help incoming freshman acclimate to campus and improve retention.

Sydney Ford, executive director for Bear Down Camp, attended the senate meeting to appeal for $1,000 to help fund students to go to the camp because the camp’s budget was lowered for the next year.

The senate approved the funding, which will fully fund five fee waivers and partially fund seven fee waivers.

The senate also approved a list of possible performers compiled by Ortega for the Wildcat Events Board concert, a project that has $175,000 of the presidential cabinet’s $308,500 budget. The WEB concert is a free musical event which has been held at Main Gate Square in past years.

The senators also used the meeting to discuss personal projects. Trey Cox, ASUA senator, said he is researching the possibility of adding a lecture notes service to the services offered by the UA. Brooke Serack, ASUA senator, discussed producing a summer senate newsletter, streaming meetings online and talking to the head of the Student Union Memorial Center about organizing food trucks on campus.

“[ASUA] Senate sometimes has a stigma that we don’t do much and this is the year that we’re going to change that,” Serack said.