Arizona women’s golf faces tough challenge this week

The UA women’s golf team resumes competition this weekend at the 2014 Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge Tournament.

The tournament, which begins on Sunday and finishes on Tuesday, will have a total of 16 teams participating and will feature eight of the top 10 women’s golf teams in the nation — including Pac-12 Conference opponents No. 1 USC, No. 2 UCLA, No. 7 ASU and No. 10 Stanford. However, assistant coach Derek Radley said he believes they are well-prepared for the course and its challenges.

“We have three juniors in the lineup: Kendall Prince, Andrea Vilarasau and Manon Gidali,” Radley said. “They’ve all played the golf course before, so I’m really excited for them to come back.”

Radley will coach the team into this weekend’s competition, since head coach Laura Ianello is unable to fly due to her pregnancy.

Prince isn’t worried about not having Ianello there and said she doesn’t believe it will affect the team’s performance.

“We’re going to be ready no matter what because it has been a gradual change,” Prince added. “It wasn’t all of a sudden coach Radley is taking over; we were aware of it. It’s fun to see where everyone is at starting out in the spring, and hopefully, our warm weather has helped us prepare.”

—Follow Fernando Galvan @fgalvan35