Staff Picks

Bobby Stover sports reporter

If you’re in a Pac-10 weekly football pool, I’m sorry. To date, you’ve likely lost a lot of money and this week’s key matchup between Arizona and Oregon poses a similar threat to your wallet. Oregon is the favorite and should win. But two things about Arizona football’s recent history suggest otherwise. Firstly, every season the Wildcats seem to drop a game they should win; California – check. Secondly, nearly ever year Arizona also knocks off a ranked team at home – Oregon is No. 11 in the nation. This is the last chance for the Wildcats to continue their upset-trend, and I think they will.

Arizona 35, Oregon 31

Kevin Zimmerman – sports editor

It’s Senior Day, “”College GameDay”” is in town and the Wildcats are fighting for their first Rose Bowl bid. But do the Wildcats think the atmosphere will carry them to a win? It won’t. Wildcat fans forget that the game is a must-win for the Ducks as well. They’re a talented team and just as hungry as the Wildcats. Plus, the Ducks are led by quarterback Jeremiah Masoli. Just as a waterfowl can both swim and fly, Oregon’s Jeremiah Masoli can throw and run through opposing defenses. I have a bad feeling that’ll be Arizona’s defense tomorrow.

Oregon 42, Arizona 34

Lucas Clarksports reporter (Oregon Daily Emerald)

The Ducks have shown that they can beat anybody in Autzen Stadium this year, but they’ve had some trouble on the road, picking up their only two losses at Boise State and at Stanford. Unfortunately for the Wildcats, I don’t think that Arizona has a strong enough defense to contain Oregon’s Jeremiah Masoli and LaMichael James, despite having only given up 104.9 yards per game on the ground. Oregon’s zone-read option has given UA head coach Mike Stoops trouble in the past, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Masoli break out with another five-touchdown performance similar to last year’s 55-45 UO victory.

Oregon 51, Arizona 21

Ben Schorzmansports editor (Oregon Daily Emerald)

Personally, I think the Zona Zoo is in for a disappointment Saturday. First, I predict that Lee Corso will put on the Duck head, then the Ducks will go on and exact revenge for the loss the Wildcats put on them in 2007 in Tucson. Running back LaMichael James will have at least 130 yards rushing and two touchdowns and Nick Foles will do well, but not well enough to beat Oregon.

Oregon 41, Arizona 31