Online Exclusive: ASUA discusses remaining funds, school year

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona senate discussed how they would spend the remainder of their funds for the year at their weekly meeting on Wednesday.

The senate receives $16,000 of funding for senate projects a year, but the governing body only used a little less than half of the funds so far, according to ASUA President James Allen. This gives the senate about $9,000 left to spend on projects for the remainder of the school year.

Senators said they would like to use some of this money to either partially or fully fund an event presented at the senate meeting by Feminists Organized to Resist, Create, and Empower, also known as F.O.R.C.E. Eva Izhieman, the student director of the organization and an anthropology senior, presented an event that will bring Jessica Valenti, a driving force in the feminist movement today, to the UA campus to host a workshop, presentation and screening of her new movie based off of one of her books The Purity Myth. The organization approached the senate to request additional funding to bring Valenti to speak on campus.

Izhieman said that it is about $10,000 to bring her to the campus, which is relatively inexpensive in comparison to most speakers, and Senator Blanca Delgado agreed. Delgado said when she was looking to bring a public speaker to campus, she found out that it was much more expensive than she thought, so she said she agreed that this was a relatively cheap cost for such an important and educational speaker.

Although some of the senators said bringing Valenti to campus is a good educational opportunity for the UA, they still want a more formulated plan as to how exactly Valenti’s visit will go, along with how much funding the group needs from the senate.

Izhieman said that the intention of approaching the senate about this event was not solely based on the fact that they need funding, but that she thinks it would be good to have the backing of the senate for such an important event. She added that she believes the senate is supposed to be a representation of the students at the school, and that it would show the community that the senate cares about the same things they do.

The feminist group will present their more finalized plan next week at the senate meeting, but in the mean time will be contacting other organizations to receive additional funding.