Candrea leaves game, but EKG results ‘normal’

Arizona head softball coach Mike Candrea left Sunday’s game against ASU in Tempe, Ariz., by ambulance after experiencing tightness in his chest during the third inning. Candrea, 56, was taken to the clubhouse before being taken off the premises to a hospital.

Assistant coach Larry Ray stepped in and coached on the third base line for the remainder of the game. The Wildcats gave up their 6-0 lead over the Sun Devils shortly after Candrea’s departure from the game, and ultimately lost 7-6.

“No one really talked about it,” junior first baseman Baillie Kirker told the Arizona Daily Star. “You’re worried about your coach. It’s a little bit mind-boggling.”

Candrea began feeling weak and his chest began to hurt, according to Ray. An Arizona spokesperson said the tightness may be stress-related. However, an electrocardiogram test given in the afternoon came back normal.

“Apparently everything appears to be OK, but they’re just keeping him for a while,” Ray told the Daily Star.

Whether or not Candrea will return right away is “undetermined right now,” the spokesperson said. The team will likely take the day off to regroup before it takes on San Diego State at home in a two-game series starting Tuesday.

Even though the severity of Candrea’s condition is not yet known, the team has a tough week ahead with a three-game conference series at home against Stanford this coming weekend following the SDSU series.