Finding your inner child with ‘Finding Neverland’

Courtesy Broadway in Tucson
Actors in the cast of Finding Neverland playing at Centennial Hall.

Broadway in Tucson Company’s showing of Finding Neverland truly instills a sense a wonder within audiences. Taking place in the regal Centennial Hall on University Blvd., magic really is played out before your very eyes.

Taking place in London during the early 1900s, the story follows playwright J.M. Barrie as he attempts to find himself through his work.

Barrie is known within upper-class London as an esteemed writer that always delivers basic plays to his fans. However, he seeks something more fulfilling for his next masterpiece. 

RELATED: UA seniors ‘Dream in Widescreen’

Unhappy with his previous conventional stories, Barrie wishes to extend his imagination to new heights beyond the high society. Although it may be controversial to others, he must find personal redemption in make-believe.

As he meets four sprightly boys and their widowed mother, Barrie draws inspiration from their childish perspectives. Through compassion and wit, he reaches his goal of putting on an awe-inspiring play called Peter Pan that makes waves within his community. 

Audiences name it a huge success as Londoners imagine themselves flying around with fairies such as Tinkerbell on their carriage rides home.

The show itself is a frame story: a play within a play. The main focus is on the author and his personal life, but it is nostalgically exciting to hear the origins of classic Peter Pan facets. From a real live (and adorable) dog on stage to little boys playing pirates, the show really is quality entertainment.

The four little boys onstage were so precious to watch. Their little voices, though powerful, shine through as they sing songs of merriment to the audience. Small jokes and playfulness bring in a humble atmosphere to the show that makes it more expressive.

The boys portrayed their characters so realistically to the point where they seemed just like real brothers. Their banter and competitiveness warms the hearts of those who grew up with siblings.

The cast of Finding Neverland playing at Centennial Hall.

The beautiful set pieces on the stage look like real illustrations out of a story book. Kensington Gardens flower bushes, pirate ship ropes and sails, and imaginary lands full of lost boys jump out at the crowd like real pages out of Peter Pan.

RELATED: Russian students get a taste of the Southwest

Sam McDowell and his mother Jennifer McDowell thoroughly enjoyed the show as well. Coming to Centennial Hall a few times a year, they love seeing the amazing sets, costumes and lighting.

“The special effects are super cool,” Sam said. 

The show is not just for younger audiences. This is not the classic Peter Pan story about never growing up.

“The choreography is really unique, I love it,” Jennifer said.