Police Beat: April 24

Hit the floor

University of Arizona Police Department officers were called to investigate possible sexual activity at the Arizona Stadium Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research on Monday.

An employee of the lab said she was walking to the water cooler when she saw two people lying on the concrete near the door to her office. She called UAPD, and two officers responded.

Upon arrival, officers saw two figures jump up quickly. As the officers approached they saw the individuals putting their belts back on.

They found two minors, one male and one female. When questioned, the female said that she and the man were “boyfriend and girlfriend,” and that they had come to the Tree Ring Laboratory to “hang out” and “make out,” but said they had no intention to have sex.

The minors’ parents were contacted and agreed to pick up their children at the stadium. The minors were given a trespassing warning and were released to their parents.

Shorts stop

UAPD responded to a report of shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on Monday.

A bookstore employee observed a man in his 30s with long gray hair enter the store and approach a clothing display. The man picked up a pair of navy blue shorts with an “A” on them and turned away from the employee.

According to the witness, the man then put the shorts under his shirt and walked quickly toward the exit. The employee instructed the man to stop several times, but the man did not respond and hurried outside.

UAPD was unable to make contact with the alleged shoplifter or observe him on surveillance video. The employee said he would be able to make a positive identification if the man was apprehended.

Just peachy

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for minor in possession of alcohol on Saturday.

A UAPD officer on patrol observed two young men exiting Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, one of whom was holding a clear glass bottle. Once he realized he was being watched by police, the young man holding the bottle tried to hide it behind his back, tucking it into the back of his pants.

The other young man lost his balance and fell over the retaining wall along the sidewalk. Officers approached the young men. The one holding the bottle relinquished it to officers, identifying it as peach vodka.

Officers said that both young men were polite and cooperative, if a little unstable on their feet.

The two, who were not members of the fraternity, were released and diverted to the Dean of Students Office, and the bottle was disposed of by police.