Head men’s golf coach LaRose to retire

UA head men’s golf coach Rick LaRose will retire at the end of this season, athletic director Greg Byrne announced Tuesday.

Larose, Currently in his 39th season as a head coach at the UA and his 34th season as the men’s golf head coach will retire on July 1 and assume a position as a part-time special assistant to Byrne. His duties will include fundraising events, primarily focusing on raising money for a golf practice facility, according to a press release.

A national search for LaRose’s replacement will begin immediately.

“It is difficult to overstate the impact Coach LaRose has had on our golf programs,” Byrne said in a statement. “For nearly four decades, he has built Arizona into one of the elite names in all of college golf.”

LaRose took over the men’s golf team in 1978 and led the team to the 1992 NCAA title. LaRose also served as the women’s head coach from 1996-98 and in 2010, leading it to the 1996 NCAA title. Both programs spent time ranked No. 1 in the country under Larose’s watch.

LaRose reached the 6,000-win mark in head-to-head competition last season.

Arizona has been ranked in the top 20 in 26 of LaRose’s 34 seasons with the men’s golf team. He’s the only coach in NCAA history to win both a men’s and women’s national championship. His teams have won seven NCAA regional championships, four Pacific 10 Conference titles and three Rolex Match Play titles.

LaRose is also the only coach to lead both a men’s and women’s team to a Rolex Match Play and Pac-10 title. His teams have recorded eight top 5 finishes and 10 top 10 finishes.

PGA regulars Ricky Barnes, Jim Furyk, Ted Purdy and Rory Sabbatini played under LaRose.

“I’ve been fortunate to have coached so many outstanding student-athletes,” LaRose said, “and I take a great deal of pride in what we were able to accomplish together. I’ve coached so many great kids, worked with so many great people and have so many great memories.”

The Wildcats open the Pac-12 Men’s Golf Championships on Friday in Corvallis, Ore.