“Child, 6, brings gun to school “

Distraught parents descended on a northeast Houston elementary school today after a pistol brought to campus by a kindergartner fell and discharged, slightly injuring three pupils.

The pistol fell out of a pants pocket of the 6-year-old boy, who was not identified, and fell on the floor of cafeteria of Ross Elementary School, 2819 Bay, about 10:22 a.m.Houstonschool district spokesman Jason Spencer said.

The boy who brought the gun was wounded in the foot, another 6-year-old boy was wounded in the leg and a 5-year-old girl was wounded in the foot, Spencer said. The students were either hit by a single bullet and/or fragments, officials said.

The children were taken to Texas Children’s Hospital and their parents notified. Houston Independent School District police were investigating how the child obtained the weapon.

The hospital identified the children as Marquel Sanders, 6, Zakeyah Thomas, 5, and Khoran Brown, 6. Marquel Sanders is similar to the name another child at the scene said was the boy who brought the gun to school.

The three children were in stable condition and were in good spirits, playing video games this afternoon, said Dr. David deLemos, assistant trauma medical director at Texas Children’s.

Jarneshia Broussard, 5, said she was sitting at the same cateteria table as the boy who brought the gun. She was eating a hot dog and beans when she heard a loud noise, she said.

She first thought a light had gone out but then realized this was more serious.

“”I knew it was a gun because a gun goes ‘pow,’ “” Jarneshia said. “”I got really scared.””

The sound of the shots caused a great commotion in the cafeteria, Jarneshia said, and she and other children began to cry. She said she moved to another table and saw the gun lying on the floor.

HISD officials didn’t close the school but allowed parents to pick up their children if they chose. Among those who arrived was Jarneshia’s grandmother, Moneek Burleson.

“”This is a problem,”” Burleson said with tears in her eyes as she clutched her granddaughter’s hand. “”This is a serious problem and it needs to stop.””

The parents of one of the injured children, Khoran Brown, released a statement through the hospital today.

“”Our son, Khoran Brown, 6, is in stable condition. It is a sad situation that took place today, but we are thankful our son is in good spirits. He is already asking to get back to school.””