Film critiques spending habits

The Center for Student Involvement and Leadership continued its semester-long social justice film series Thursday night by trying to educate students on the dangers of living beyond their financial means.

The film “”The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don’t Need”” said that many Americans are trapped in a buying pattern which causes them to constantly spend more than they can afford.

Neal Denardi, a political science senior, said the majority of students don’t understand the dangers of buying on credit and putting off payments.

“”Just making minimum payments is one of the worst things you can do,”” Denardi said. “”Credit card companies will set really low minimum payments, (for instance if) you have a $3,000 balance (they will tell you to) just pay like $15, and that’s borrowing irresponsibly and you just get into a big cycle.””

Jessica Risco, a public health graduate student, said the film, which was played in the Gallagher Theater in the Student Union Memorial Center, did have a low turnout but she was encourage by people’s interest level.

“”The lunch show only had three people and we had 20 (tonight). . . . I was expecting no one because of the (vice-presidential) debate so this is great, this is way more (people) than I thought would be here,”” Risco said.

If people can become educated on the dangers of buying on credit than they will know how to avoid the spending patterns that have doomed their parents to economic turmoil, she said.

“”It would be great if in order to get a credit card you would have to come to a showing like this, but I don’t know how to get places like Wells Fargo on board,”” Risco said. “”I mean, we share a wall with them, but I don’t know if they even know were doing this.””

Denardi said that many people look at a credit card and feel that they can afford anything because it does not represent any cash coming directly out of their pockets.

“”We have gone from a cash society to everything being on (credit) cards, and I have found that it is actually a little bit harder for me to spend money when it is actually physical money,”” he said.

Risco added that if faculty members could incorporate general knowledge events into the curriculum it would create a student body that is more prepared for the real world.

“”I think if faculty is alerting students and almost collaborating with us to require it as part of an educational component that would help a lot, but faculty has their own agenda and they’re really busy too,”” Risco said.