Arizona women’s track and field team finishes in top 10 at Aztec invitational, men’s team finishes in top 5

Arizona sprinter Umajesty Williams runs down the track during on of their seasonal meets held at the Roy P. Drachman Track and Field Stadium. (Courtesy photo by Chris Hook/Arizona Athletics.)

Both the Arizona women’s and men’s track and field teams had a phenomenal weekend in San Diego, California. The women’s team finished seventh and the men’s team finished fourth at the Aztec Invitational, March 26-27 at Aztrack Sports Deck. 

Overall, the women’s team won seven events, and the men’s team won four. Siblings Alyssa and Johnnie Blockburger, both natives of Tucson, suited up for the Wildcats and took the event by storm.

Friday, March 26

The invitational began with the hammer throw at the Chula Vista Elite Athletic Training Center. The Wildcats established their dominance early on, with freshman Ava David finishing second with a throw of 55.30 meters, tying for ninth-best in school history.

On the men’s side, juniors Israel Oloyede and Jordan Geist finished first and second in the hammer throw. Oloyede’s throw went 69.20 meters and Geist’s throw went 68.35 meters. The Wildcats were the only team to have throwers reach the 60-meter mark. Oloyede’s throw was the second-best in the NCAA all year and third-best in school history. Geist’s throw was the third-best in the country and fourth-best in school history. Both men also set personal records with their throws. 

Freshman Jakob Chamberlin finished fourth, with a throw of 57.52 meters. Redshirt sophomore Jaisen Brown also competed, finishing ninth with a throw of 53.54 meters. 

Saturday, March 27

The Wildcats were very active for the second and final day of competition. After a successful first day with the hammer throw, the women’s and men’s track and field teams looked to carry that momentum into their events. 

Men’s Track and Field

The 4×100 meter relay team of freshman Johnnie Blockburger and juniors Trevor Volpe, Trent Stimac and Umajesty Williams finished third with a time of 39.82. Their time was the seventh-best in the NCAA this year. 

Junior Dominic Gehr ran for the Wildcats in the 110-meter hurdles. Gehr finished No. 11 with a time of 15.73. 

Junior Calvin Wilson was the sole representative for the Wildcats in the men’s 400-meter dash. Wilson finished in first place with a time of 46.63, a personal best. 

RELATED: Column: The team nobody talks about but should be talked about by everybody

Blockburger, Stimac and Volpe were back for the 100-meter dash. Blockburger finished second with a time of 10.28, good enough for seventh in the NCAA and fourth-best in school history. Stimac finished fifth, clocking a personal best of 10.492. Volpe finished seventh with a time of 10.51.

Freshman Isaac Davis and sophomore Tanner Hagstrom ran for the Wildcats in the 800-meters. Hagstrom finished fourth with a time of 1:51.59. Davis did not finish. 

Volpe and Stimac competed once more in the 200-meter dash for the Wildcats. Volpe finished ninth with a time of 21.50. Stimac finished No. 13 with a time of 21.762. 

The 4×400 team of Blockburger, Wilson, Davis and Williams finished first with a time of 3:06.49, good enough for second-best in the NCAA and sixth-best in school history. 

Chamberlin, Geist, freshman Youssef Koudssi and Zach Landa competed in the discus throw. Chamberlin finished first, with a throw of 54.51 meters, a personal best. Koudssi finished sixth, with a throw of 49.18 meters. Geist finished tied for tenth, with a throw of 45.76 meters. Landa did not have a score that counted, because he committed a foul for all his attempts. 

Landa and Koudssi were back throwing in the shot-put for the Wildcats. Landa ensured that he would have a score that counted this go around. Landa finished third, with a throw of 15.96 meters. Koudssi followed close behind in fourth, with a throw of 15.89 meters. 

Junior Mohammad Almarhoun, freshmen Jacorey Jones and Jalen Smith competed in the long jump. Almarhoun finished fifth, with a jump of 6.82 meters. Jones finished ninth, with a jump of 6.53 meters. Smith finished No. 13, with a jump of 6.24 meters. 

Gehr and freshman Tanner Kippes participated in the pole vault for the Wildcats. Gehr finished No. 11, clearing the bar at 4.45 meters off the ground. Kippes finished tied for No. 12, clearing the bar at 4.15 meters off the ground. 

The men’s track and field team finished with a final point total of 96.

Women’s Track and Field

Sophomore Skylar Sieben,  freshmen Ajaysha Lewis and Abby Walls competed in the 100-meter hurdles for the Wildcats. Sieben and Lewis finished seventh and eighth, with times of 14.19 and 14.59. Sieben’s time was good enough for a personal record. Walls finished No. 16 with a time of 16.09. 

Sophomore Shannon Meisberger, freshmen Gracie Reinholz and Morgan Rhett ran in the 400-meter dash. Meisberger finished second with a time of 53.89. Reinholz finished fourth with a time of 56.26, a personal best. Rhett finished in last place with a time of 1:00.36. 

Lewis and sophomore Neysia Howard sprinted for the Wildcats in the 100-meter dash. Howard finished sixth with a time of 11.615, a personal best and tied for eighth-best in school history. Lewis finished No. 15 with a time of 12.24. 

Sieben and freshman Alyssa Blockburger ran for the Wildcats in the 800-meters. Blockburger finished third with a time of 2:10.90. Sieben finished No. 11 with a time of 2:24.16. 

Lewis, Howard, Reinholz and Rhett all ran in the 200-meter dash. Howard finished No. 17 with a time of 24.27. Lewis finished No. 25 with a time of 25.31. Reinholz finished No. 27 with a time of 25.45, a personal best. Rhett finished No. 33, with a time of 25.91.

The 4×400 team finished in third place with a time of 3:40.12. 

Sieben participated in the javelin throw for the Wildcats, finishing No. 12 with a throw of 35.66 meters. 

David and junior Samantha Noennig suited up for the discus throw. Noennig finished first with a throw of 54.62 meters, good enough for tenth best in the NCAA and ninth-best in school history. David finished No. 22 with a throw of 31.08 meters. 

Senior Megan Dulaney and redshirt sophomore Jordan Spradlin competed in the shot-put throw. Dulaney finished fifth, with a throw of 14.82 meters. Spradlin seventh, with a throw of 13.58 meters. 

Walls, freshman Kimarah Holt, and Rylee Perkins competed in the long jump. Perkins finished sixth, with a jump of 5.52 meters. Holt finished No. 18, with a jump of 4.93 meters. Walls finished in last place with a jump of 4.53 meters.

Junior Katie Daily was the sole representative for the Wildcats in the pole vault. Daily finished tied for fifth, clearing the bar at 3.92 meters above the ground. 

Junior Tiana Poirier-Shelton represented the Wildcats in the triple jump. 

Poirier-Shelton finished fifth, with a jump of 11.72 meters. 

The women’s track and field team finished with a final point total of 65.50.

The Wildcats will be back in action on Saturday, April 3, for the Antelope Invitational, hosted by Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona.

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter