Spring Fling rained out

Janice Biancavilla / Arizona Daily Wildcat

As the the night progressed large crowds filled Rillito(sp?) Park for the _____Spring Fling Friday April, 8. **[INSERT WHICH ANNUAL SPRING FLING]
Janice Biancavilla/ Arizona Dail
Janice Biancavilla / Arizona Daily Wildcat As the the night progressed large crowds filled Rillito(sp?) Park for the _____Spring Fling Friday April, 8. **[INSERT WHICH ANNUAL SPRING FLING]

Spring Fling, which ASUA claims is the largest student-run carnival in the country, was shut down on Saturday due to inclement weather.

The carnival, an annual event the Associated Students of the University of Arizona hosts at Rillito Downs, was open Thursday through Sunday but afflicted by a heavy rainstorm that hit Tucson on Saturday. The event was supposed to be open from noon until midnight, but was shut down around 2:30 p.m.

Having the event close prematurely could negatively affect the 3,000 student volunteers aiming to raise money for their various student clubs on campus.

The event does not offer refunds for admission, including ride tickets or wristbands, which could be purchased for $25 for unlimited access to rides.

Spring Fling was back in full force on Sunday. The carnival’s final day offered guests the chance to see a live performance at 6:30 p.m. and to get a “”Last Chance”” wristband, which cost $15 for access to unlimited rides. A shuttle ran from the UA to Rillito Downs every half hour and offered UA students transportation to the event.

The carnival was host to a myriad of special events aimed toward UA students as well as community members. Events included free CPR training, a “”bike rodeo”” intended to teach bike safety training for children and interaction with Chevrolet, which had three cars on site and offered live entertainment and giveaways.

More than 25,000 people attended Spring Fling last year, which helped the 120 participating clubs raise approximately $40,000. The event still held regular hours on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Official numbers regarding attendance and money raised are not available at this time and will take a few weeks to calculate.