M-tennis’ Goldman falls in second round

Arizona junior Jay Goldman was defeated in his second-round match at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla. on Friday.

After winning his first-round match Thursday, Goldman advanced to face No. 9-ranked Sanam Singh from the University of Virginia. In a battle between two of the nation’s top tennis players, Singh came out on top over No. 36-ranked Goldman in straight sets 6-2, 6-4.

“”I thought (Goldman) played well,”” head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “”Jay had some opportunities in the second set, he was down, made a comeback to get a lead. But overall the guy he played was tough just like every player at this event.””

In such a prestigious tournament, Berkowitz was pleased with the experience Goldman took home from playing the best players in the country. He pointed out that Goldman would eventually like to be ranked in the top 10 nationally, and what he learns from matches against a player like Singh will only help him reach his goal.

“”Jay knows that if he plays a guy like (Singh) again, he will have some confidence to know that he can beat him,”” Berkowitz said.

The Wildcats will return to the courts this week at the ITA West Regional Championships in Malibu, Calif., on Thursday.