Traveler to help women go ‘sola’

The UA’s involvement in Hispanic Heritage Month is going global.

The university will be welcoming journalist, author and world traveler Stephanie Elizondo Griest, to campus Wednesday night at 7 p.m. as the key speaker for “”Traveling Sola: Tips for Wandering Women”” as part of Hispanic Heritage Month, put on by the Women’s Resource Center, Social Justice, Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs, UA Parents and Family Association and the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.

“”(Griest) is holding a workshop to cover everything a woman needs to know before hitting the road,”” said Malia Uhatafe, a religious studies senior and the Women’s Resource Center co-director. “”What to expect going into a new environment and ways to be safe and what to do and what not to do.””

The multilingual and road-loving Griest has traveled to 30 countries such as China, Russia, Egypt, Columbia and Germany, among others.

“”She’ll be talking about her book (“”100 Places Every Woman Should Go””) and also ways for women to be safe on the road,”” Uhatafe said. “”How to fend off parasites – sketchy men – conquer their fears and pretty much handle culture shock.””

“”From what I hear, she’s a really great speaker; she has so many stories to tell,”” said Tiffany Tedesco, a interdisciplinary studies senior and the Women’s Resource Center media and advertising intern. “”I’ve never head of anybody like that coming to the U of A before, so I’m really excited about that.””

The event is meant to be an empowering tool for women, just as it’s meant to be a guide, Tedesco said.

“”(This workshop) is for women and going on an adventure by themselves and pretty much conquering everything,”” she said. “”It could be for all women – women that haven’t thought about (traveling or) women that are thinking about (traveling).””

Although the speaking engagement is geared toward women, men are welcome to attend as well, Tedesco added.

“”We’re really excited to provide any information for women traveling and proving specific programs that will benefit women at the university, but of course, men can definitely benefit from this too,”” Tedesco said.

Rather than just a “”how-to”” on travel, the event is also loaded with information women and men can relate to on a regular basis, Uhatafe said.

“”I think there’s a lot of information that Stephanie would provide that men could also relate to. They will also experience the culture shock or maybe deal with ‘sketchy’ women,”” Uhatafe said.

“”I would really love (women) to come out to this event so they can see what the Women’s Resource Center, along with other collaborators, do here to provide programs specifically for women and programs they haven’t seen before at the U of A. So I hope they get excited about this. It’ll be great if anybody wants to travel during winter … or summer break.””

Griest’s next UA campus event is at 5 p.m. Thursday at the Gallagher Theater and is centered around her book “”Mexican Enough: My Life Between the Borderlines,”” where she will be sharing her journey to understand her cultural identity, Uhatafe said.