Police Beat

Minor unable to walk unaided, cited for possession

Police stopped while patrolling after seeing a man who could not walk on his own, Oct. 12 at 1:21 a.m.

The man was being supported by friends while vomiting near Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall. When police approached, they noted that he had a strong smell of intoxicants coming from his breath, as well as slurred speech and bloodshot eyes. The man also required the support of his friends while he was standing.

When asked if he had been drinking the man told officers, “”I’m just drunk as shit, but I’ll be OK.””

The man declined medical attention.

He was cited and released for minor in possession and referred to the Dean of Students.

Intoxicated woman passed out in dorm hallway

Police responded to Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 12 at 5:20 a.m. for a woman vomiting in the hallway.

When police arrived, they made contact with a woman who was passed out. The reports said that the woman had been sitting on the floor, vomiting. Police smelled a strong odor of intoxicants emanating from the woman.

Tucson Fire Department responded to treat the woman for extreme intoxication. They reported that she was responsive, but incoherent. It was determined that she needed to be taken to University Medical Center.

Police later followed up at UMC and talked with the woman. She told them she understood why they were there, and knew it was illegal for her to consume alcohol. She also agreed to answer their questions. The woman told officers that she had had five shots of vodka at a friend’s party. She did not wish to disclose the friend’s name or address.

The woman was cited and released for MIP. She was also referred to the Dean of Students.

Minors cited after beer pong in dorm room

Two men were cited for MIP at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall after police were called to respond to a beer pong game on Oct. 12 at 1:43 a.m.

When police arrived, they made contact with the men, who gave police their IDs. They told officers that they were playing beer pong in the room and produced five cans of Keystone Light.

The beer was confiscated and destroyed. The men were cited and released for MIP and referred to the Dean of Students.

Marijuana charges brought against La Paz resident

A man was referred to the Dean of Students office after admitting to smoking marijuana on Oct. 14 at 11:48 p.m.

Police responded to La Paz Residence Hall after a residence assistant called in regards to the smell of marijuana. When police arrived they made contact with the RA, who said that another student was in the bathroom and smelled marijuana. The student then reported it to her and said that there was only one other student in the bathroom at the time. She gave police the student’s name.

Police went to the student’s room and knocked on the door. The man who answered identified the student in question as his roommate. The roommate then came to the door and gave police his identification.

Police noted that the man had red, watery eyes and quiet, slightly slurred speech. The officer told the man it appeared that he had been smoking marijuana, who reluctantly admitted to smoking from a water bong.

Officers then asked the man to give them the water bong and any marijuana from his room. The man produced a plastic bong and a small prescription bottle with marijuana inside. The man denied having any further contraband.

Police took possession of the bong and marijuana. The man was referred to the Dean of Students diversion program.

‘Political statement’ leads to damage charge

A police aide was on patrol when he saw a man vandalizing a stop sign on Oct. 14 at 10:44 p.m.

The police aide made contact with a man who was applying something to a stop sign at the intersection of Fourth Street and Highland Avenue. The man walked away from the stop sign, and the aide asked him what he had done to the sign. The man told the aide that he had put a sticker on the sign.

The aide told the man that the sticker needed to come down, and if he wanted it up, the flyer board that was 100 feet away was a venue for him to post on. Without hesitation, the man walked back to the sign.

It was then that the aide noticed the odor of spray paint and heard the sound of a spray can ball.

The aide went to the other side of the sign and saw that the man had not applied a sticker but had spray-painted the word “”war”” in black paint under the word “”stop.””

The aide asked the man what the purpose was and he said, “”It’s just a political statement for the upcoming election.””

An officer was radioed to respond.

When the officer arrived on scene, he made contact with the man, who was sitting on a curb near the stop sign. He gave the officer his identification.

The officer asked the man where the spray paint and stencil were, and he produced them from his jacket. He told the officer that he was just trying to make a political statement and “”wasn’t trying to cause a problem.””

The officer cited and released the man for criminal damage and referred him to the Dean of Students.