Resources for the LGBTQ+ community

Ian Green

Staff and frequenters of LGBTQ Resource Center, located on the fourth floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, advocate for a larger, improved space to meet the needs of the growing LGBTQ community at the UA.

The Equal Opportunity Policy of the University of Arizona states that UA provides equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of race, religion, gender identity, sex or sexual orientation. Here is a list of resources that are available to all members of the LGBTQ+ community in Tucson and on UA campus.

• Southern Arizona Gender Alliance

Southern Arizona Gender Alliance (SAGA) is a non-profit organization that provides support and services to transgender and gender non-conforming individuals. Some services include legal, medical and mental health resources and parent support. To learn more, visit their website.

• LGBTQ Affairs

LGBTQ Resource Center at the UA, offers various programs, resources, events and a safe space for LGBTQ+ individuals on campus. At the center, students can eat lunch, socialize or even take a nap. It is located on the fourth floor of the UA Student Union Memorial Center. 

• G3 Gay Happy Hour

G3 Gay Happy Hour is a social gathering for Tucson’s LGBTQ+ community with food and drinks available for purchase. It is aimed to create a safe environment for the LGBTQ+ community in Tucson. Events are held every third Friday of each month at different locations each time and usually last from 5 to 9 p.m. For more information on monthly locations, visit their website or sign up to receive their announcements.

• Living Out Loud

A Health and Wellness program for LGBTQ+ members that offers mental health and physical health services, including therapists, counselors, support groups and psychiatric assessment. To learn more about their services, or to get started, call (520) 202-1832.

RELATED: Rainbow Graduation celebrates queer-identifying students and allies for their college achievements 

• Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation

Southern Arizona Aids Foundation aims to “cultivate a healthy & stigma-free society through transformative action,” according to their website. SAAF provides confidential HIV testing with results being available in around 20 minutes or less. One-on-one meetings with a counselor to determine needs are also available, along with housing services, food programs and support groups. For more information, or to make an appointment, call (520) 628-7223.

• EON Youth

An expansion of SAAF, EON Youth advocates to strengthen the youth LGBTQ+ community by creating safe spaces and providing health and mental services. A safe space lounge is available to use for LGBTQ+ and straight-ally youth meant for socializing with others, peer support or for expressing themselves. Ages 13-23 are allowed. For more information, contact EON Youth at (520) 547-6106.

• Parents, Families and Friends United with LGBTQ People to Move Equality Forward

Also known as PFLAG, the nationwide LGBTQ+ ally organization aims to unite LGBTQ+ community members with families and friends. It provides programs, services and support groups to foster better understanding of one another. Also, an online resource pamphlet for parents, families and friends with answers to frequently asked questions is available here.

• El Rio Community Health Center

The community center offers health services to transgender and gender non-conforming youth and adults.  According to the Arizona Daily Star, two pediatricians, Dr. Andrew Cronyn and Dr. Tracey Kurtzman, have been “open to treating their patients with medication to inhibit puberty and with cross-gender hormones.” Since beginning these types of treatments, various doctors in Tucson have offered medical services to transgender individuals. For more information on their services, call El Rio at (520) 670-3909 or chat with their staff here.

Follow Vianney on Twitter