Five important stats from Arizona football’s loss to Utah

Arizona football dropped its sixth consecutive game of the year on Saturday night to the Utah Utes. Here are five crucial stats from the loss on Senior Night.

2-for-12 on third downs

On third downs last night, Arizona was 2-for-12, a measly 16%. It did not help that the Wildcats were forced to have a lot of long third downs because they couldn’t get a lot going on first and second downs. They only had two third downs with less than 5 yards in the entire game. 

19-yard line

The Wildcats’ average field position was on their own 19-yard line, which is one of the main factors that they were only able to score seven points the entire night. Out of the 10 drives Arizona had, four of them were 3-and-outs. 

20:28 minutes

Arizona only had the ball for 20:28 minutes in last night’s 7-35 loss to Utah compared to that of Utah who had the ball for 39:32 minutes of the game. Utah is a team who takes a lot of time in between plays and will eat up a lot of clock, whereas Arizona is a team that likes to play fast on offense, and we see a perfect example of this in the time of possession last night.

2.4 yards

The Wildcats averaged 2.4 yards a carry in last night’s game, which comes as no surprise as Utah is the No. 1 team in the nation for rush yards allowed per game. The Wildcats tried running it up the middle, as well as around the edge, and nothing truly worked for them. 

297 yards allowed

Arizona’s defense allowed 297 yards rushing to Utah running back Zack Moss and seven other Utah players. This is the most yards rushing that Arizona has allowed this year. Moss was a very hard back to bring down, as was seen several times, and it typically took more than one Wildcat to tackle him.

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter