Hot ‘n’ not Feb. 25

Rebecca Marie Sasnett/The Daily
Rebecca Marie Sasnett/The Daily Wildcat Senior forward Andrew Murmes (21) skates up the ice after gaining possession of the puck during Arizona’s 8-2 loss against ASU Saturday.

HOT
Arizona baseball won its three-game series against Alcorn State, and outscored the Braves 31-2 during Sunday’s doubleheader, in which it grabbed 14 stolen bases.

Arizona men’s basketball beat Utah 67-63 and Colorado 88-61 on the road. Freshman Aaron Gordon finished with a career-high 23 points and junior guard Nick Johnson finished with 20 points Saturday night against the Buffaloes. Arizona improved from No. 4 to No. 3 in the AP Top 25 poll.

Despite its first loss of the season on Thursday, Arizona softball bounced back in the Mary Nutter Classic and won its last three games of the tournament. Arizona beat UNLV 14-1 in the final game Sunday.

Three Phoenix Coyotes players won medals at the 2014 Winter Olympics. Mike Smith became the first Coyote to win an Olympic gold medal after earning it with Canada, Oliver Ekman-Larsson won the silver with Sweden and Lauri Korpikoski won the bronze with Finland.

NOT
No. 1 ASU swept No. 15 Arizona hockey. The Sun Devils outscored the UA 12-4 on the Wildcats’ senior weekend and won seven of eight games against Arizona this year.

No. 17 Arizona gymnastics was upset in Tempe, Ariz., on Saturday by No. 22 ASU, 195.350-196.125. Arizona head coach Bill Ryden said he and the team were disappointed in the way they began the competition. A completely new lineup on the bars and uncharacteristic errors were a factor in the loss, according to Ryden.

Former Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey got to show his talent at the NFL Combine on Sunday.
Carey led the Pac-12 with 1,885 rushing yards, but his 40-yard dash results ranked 29 out of the 33 running backs participating. Carey finished with a time of 4.70 and did not seem to impress the scouts.

The Phoenix Suns saw their three-game winning streak end on Sunday when they lost to the Houston Rockets 115-112. The Suns have the opportunity to recover from the loss tonight when they play the Minnesota Timberwolves.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal