Undergrads open pizzeria

Two students who have been friends since high school are starting their own pizza restaurant that opens today.

Karl Granrath, a business economics senior, and Austin Santos, a science education sophomore who is taking time off to focus on the business, have spent the last year and a half preparing to open the restaurant Local Dough, 1702 E. Speedway Blvd.

Santos was the manager of a pizzeria for more than five years and said he and some of the other managers always talked about the idea of opening a new place.

Granrath said he has never worked in a pizza restaurant before but has experience working in other restaurants.

Santos said the conversation was casual when he and Granrath started talking about opening a shop.

“”We started looking into it and found it was more within our reach than we thought possible,”” Granrath said.”” We finally decided to just do it.””

They bought the equipment in April from another local restaurant and started searching for the right location. Santos said he is proud of the product that they are selling because the sauce and dough are made daily, and the produce is fresh.

“”Anybody can make a pizza,”” Santos said. “”It’s the ingredients that make it special.””

Granrath said that Local Dough “”has something for everyone.””

The restaurant will offer a wide selection of beers, including 24 types of beer on tap, more than 70 bottled beverages, appetizers, salads and sandwiches.

Santos said they will also sell “”larger-than yourface”” pizza slices and 14- and 16-inch pizzas.

Lindsey Halcrow, an education junior, said she looks for friendly service, cleanliness and a range of choices where she eats. She said she thinks it is great that Santos and Granrath are starting their own restaurant and said she plans to try it.