See if these ideas make the grade

Fail: Right, but what’s it got to do with me?

For the latest statement of the obvious, one need look no further than the new Narcissistic Personality Inventory, which found that today’s college students are more narcissistic and self-centered than their predecessors. This shouldn’t be surprising to students, most of whom belong to some form of social networking site dedicated almost exclusively to trumpeting their various feats and accomplishments (found on one Facebook page: “”I can do a keg stand for six minutes. Cake.””). The researchers behind the NPI note that narcissism can have some positive side effects (lower suicide rates, probably), but in most cases, excessive self-infatuation causes dishonesty, a breakdown in close relationships and a lack of emotional warmth shown toward others. For falling head over heels for, well, themselves, narcissistic college students get a Fail.

Incomplete: Desert dueling

Valentine’s Day has long since passed, but that didn’t stop an Arizona Republic business columnist from gushing over our rivals to the north. In a positively amorous column Tuesday, Jon Talton batted his eyes at the “”economic engine”” that is Arizona State University. That’s all fine and well – it stands to reason that a university located in the heart of a bustling metropolis would enjoy great monetary benefits. What Talton failed to mention, though, is that for all his “”ASU as economic engine”” business, the school’s students are sort of, mmm, lacking. ASU’s fall 2006 freshman class boasted a mean SAT score of 1083 and an mean GPA of 3.27, compared to the UA’s 1106 and 3.36, respectively. ASU bested the UAin attracting National Merit Schools ((188 to 92), so it’s not far-fetched to think that with enough financial backing, ASU should beat out the UA across the board with its high-achieving students. With ASU neglecting to raise its overall student quality, and the UA admittedly losing ground to the Phoenix behemoth, both of these Arizona schools get an Incomplete.

Fail: Looosers!

All right, so our men’s basketball team has hit something of a rough patch this season, but that’s no excuse for going after the closest thing the Old Pueblo has to a celebrity – UA head coach Lute Olson. Olson went out of his way Tuesday to dismiss rumors that he has Parkinson’s disease and went on to suggest the rumors might be an attempt to hurt his ability to recruit top-shelf players. Either way, this is more an issue of human dignity, something the rumor starters obviously don’t have. Besides, we’d be hard-pressed to find another 72-year-old that is even half as fit as the indomitable Olson. For spreading unsubstantiated rumors, these radio station perpetrators get a Fail.

Incomplete: Fast and loose

It was one of the stranger sights we’ve seen here at the UA: A group of students organized by the University Activities Board starving themselves for 30 hours to raise awareness about starvation. Don’t get us wrong, we’re all for raising social consciousness, but this seems a curious way to go about it. (After all, people needn’t slit their wrists to raise awareness of depression). Self-indulgent though it might have seemed, it’s still a good cause, so the fasting students get an Incomplete.
    Opinions Board

Editorials are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Justyn Dillingham, Allison Hornick, Damion LeeNatali, Stan Molever, Nicole Santa Cruz and Matt Stone.