Retiring president

a farewell from likins

President Peter Likins gave a formal farewell to ASUA senators and executives at last night’s meeting, adding it has been a privilege working with student government during his nine years at the UA.

Many of next year’s elected officers were in attendance for the Associated Student of the University of Arizona senate’s meeting, and Likins advised them to establish a good relationship with incoming administration in the upcoming months but to focus more on “”healing”” ASUA.

“”You’ve had a rough year, and you have got to heal,”” he said. “”Put the stress and conflict behind and don’t carry any of it over.””

Likins said he has had a lot of respect for student government, not only at the UA but in the 24 years he’s been a university president.

“”I take guiding student government very seriously because it does pave the way for leading in society,”” he said.

Acting student body President Erin Hertzog said she invited Likins to address the senators one final time because of the open-door policy he’s had not only with senators, but with all students.

“”You can literally say you want to meet with him about an issue, and he’ll talk with you about it,”” said Hertzog, who has biweekly meetings with Likins. “”He really does take on a mentor role for the leaders on this campus.””

Hertzog, who helped pick Shelton as a part of the presidential search committee, said she wants to set up a meeting with the future president and some of next year’s elected ASUA officials to establish immediate dialogue between student government and the new administration.

“”I’m really excited for President Shelton,”” Hertzog said. “”I’m sad to lose President Likins, but I see some of his same characteristics in Dr. Shelton.””

In response to a question from Sen. Alex Dong, Likins said he had not made any plans for what he will do upon retirement, but that he will stay in Tucson.

“”I’ve never planned anything in my life. … I work very hard at what I do and enjoy what I do until another chapter comes along,”” Likins said. “”A lot of people have a lot of ideas about what I should do, but I have no plans.””

Hertzog said Likins’ effect on student government has been enormous.

“”Sitting there, I got sort of choked up because I just realized this is the last time we’ll be meeting with him,”” Hertzog said. “”We wouldn’t have accomplished even half of what we have in the last 10 years without him.””

– Zach Colick contributed to this report