Sky Bar boldly goes beyond the norm

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Layne Trinkley, a UA Geology graduate, and current high-school astronomy teacher, was a participant in the Sky Bars open mic night this past Wednesday, February 3rd. To contrast the day time all ages cafe atmosphere, Sky Bar goes 21+ to cater to their bar crowd by night.
    Gordon Bates
    Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Layne Trinkley, a UA Geology graduate, and current high-school astronomy teacher, was a participant in the Sky Bar’s open mic night this past Wednesday, February 3rd. To contrast the day time all ages cafe atmosphere, Sky Bar goes 21+ to cater to their bar crowd by night.

Life has its ups and downs and so does Sky Bar — shaken, stirred and loaded with foam. Whether you prefer a stimulant or a depressant, Sky Bar, 536 N. Fourth Ave., functions as a one-stop shop between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 a.m. Its goal: provide a quiet study niche  and a stargazing soirée. Sky Bar’s success can be measured in coffee spoons and cocktail straws.

What it looks like

Owner Tony Vaccaro created a charming chic lounge nestled beside his restaurant, Brooklyn Pizza Company. Brick walls and concrete floors contrast a crystal chandelier poised over the bar. Projector screens roost on the wall, displaying images of nebulae and constellations that update regularly. Sports games steal away the stars on Sunday afternoons. 

Evening ambience

A rosy glow warms the bar. A couple plays Scrabble while a group of friends begin a game of pool in the back. Most stake out one of the many high tables peppered throughout the room. It’s comfortable and intimate—most come just to chat and relax among friends. Suggestion: take five minutes and throw on something nicer than just any old T-shirt and jeans.

Daytime feel

Despite Sky Bar’s naturally nocturnal flair, the windowed wall facing Fourth Avenue invites the sunshine to play across the bamboo tables. You are free to perch on a bench and people-watch or choose a couch on the wall to crack down on studying.

Coffee, muffins, scones — oh my!

I didn’t spy a clover press, but the coffee ($1) is generally satisfying if not saporous. The scones ($1.50) on the other hand are exquisite; freshly baked, kissed with butter and embedded with chocolate and peanut butter morsels. They give Epic Café a run for its money.

Music

Generally background rock, jazz, blues or ambient — live or otherwise.

Alcoholic beverages

An impressive selection of liquors and imported beers such as the Delirium Tremens. The mixed drinks are well-made — not potent enough to leave you impaired or so weak you wonder if the liquor has been forgotten. Pricing is around $3-$5 without tip.

The crowd

Eclectic, generally 20s and occasionally over 30. Bro-free.

Perks

A side patio is available with seating, ashtrays and a Meade telescope set up for astronomical perusing. Self-made films are presented Wednesdays on the screens and a mic is available for anyone feeling poetic or melodious. Sundays and Mondays boast all-day happy hour.

Peak hours

10 – 11 p.m.: The bar is filled while still spacious. 11 p.m. – midnight: You’ll need to create your own alcove in the crowd. Midnight – 1 a.m.: The throng trickles down to a more comfortable number.

Bottom line

It’s a bar and café with a rare ability to bend to the diversity of Tucson inhabitants. Stop in while Sky Bar is still stretching its wings.