Rawle Alkins returns, Arizona blows out Washington State 100-72

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Rawle Alkins (1) pivots mid-air to lay in the ball past Oregon State’s Drew Eubanks.

Rawle Alkins returned and added to an efficient night for Arizona men’s basketball as it blew out Washington State 100-72 on Wednesday in Beasley Coliseum.

Although initially close, the game opened up later the first half. 18 minutes in the game, the Wildcats were up double digits and Deandre Ayton had already picked up a double-double. Arizona never looked back and improved to 19-4 and 9-1 in the Pac-12.

Ayton finished the game with 25 points, 11 rebounds on 11-for-12 shooting, while Allonzo Trier dropped 24 points on 8-for-9 shooting and Rawle Alkins added 16 points on 6-for-8 shooting. Both Trier and Alkins were perfect from 3-point range, each going 4-4. 

Alkins returned to the lineup and came off the bench after missing three of the last four games with soreness in his right foot. He immediately picked up two fouls, turned the ball over and shot an airball, but it didn’t take him long to shrug off the rust, and he went 3-for-3 from deep over the next few minutes in the first half and ended the night 4-for-4 from deep.

Once again, Dylan Smith started in Alkins place. Smith played 19 minutes and did not score until four minutes into the second half. He finished the game with two points, five rebounds and three assists. 

The Wildcats were a combined 10-17 from the 3-point line and shot 61 percent from the floor while holding the Cougars to 41 percent from the floor and 38 percent from deep. 

To start the game, Washington State initially managed to keep it close and tied it 20-20 with 11:51 to in the first half. However, Arizona leapt out to a double digit lead with a burst of 3-point shooting and strong defense. The Wildcats held Washington State without a field goal for over four minutes while going on a 25-5 run and ended the first half up 19, 53-34. 

Arizona also out rebounded Washington State 42-23 and 10-3 on the offensive glass. 

If there is one positive takeaway for Washington State, it is junior guard Robert Franks, who scored 25 points and shot 7-for-12 with five 3-pointers.  

Wednesdays game was the first time Arizona scored 100 or more points since the first two games of the season when it blew out NAU and UMBC at home. 

UA stays in the Pacific Northwest and moves on to play at the University of Washington Saturday at 8:30 p.m. on Pac-12 Network. 

Follow Nate Airulla on Twitter