Court date set for Jesse Perry

Former Arizona basketball player Jesse Perry is set for a preliminary hearing at Pima County Justice Court on May 11 after being charged with felony domestic assault stemming from an incident that occurred early Thursday morning.

Police said the UA helped turn Perry in Friday evening. He was charged with one count of domestic violence aggravated assault, a class 4 felony.

According to police reports, officers responded to a call from Tucson Medical Center, where the victim, a former girlfriend of Perry’s, was being treated for “obvious but not life-threatening in nature” injuries to her neck, back, legs and face.

The victim told police officers that she was at the Cactus Moon bar with a friend when she ran into Perry. After seeing him and having a civil conversation, she left with her friend. Perry and the victim exchanged text messages, and he invited her to meet him at his apartment.

At some point, while inside Perry’s apartment, Perry called the victim a “bitch.” She responded by calling Perry a “bitch,” which she said made him very upset.

Perry told her she needed to leave and started to push her out the door, but the victim wanted to get her purse. According to police reports, Perry would not allow her to retrieve her purse, and when she continued to demand it, he “pushed her up against the balcony’s railing” and “started to choke her with both hands.”

The victim told police that her feet were lifted off the ground and that her upper body was leaning over the balcony. She also told police that Perry was “telling her that he was going to kill her,” and that she passed out from being unable to breathe.

The victim said that when she came back into consciousness, she was still leaning against the balcony rail. She began scratching his face and held onto his hair to prevent herself from falling. She then told officers that Perry “pushed or dragged her down the stairs” and began to choke her again.

At this time, Perry “took off his belt and started to hit her legs with the belt.” The victim’s friend was able to grab her purse from the apartment during the altercation. The victim called 911 to report the incident, but did not wait for officers to arrive.

The next day the victim’s family urged her to go to the hospital, where a registered nurse alerted authorities of a possible assault. Officers told the victim that because of her romantic history with Perry, the incident would involve the Domestic Violence Unit and that the state would prosecute.

The school is cooperating with local authorities, said UA athletic director Greg Bryne in a statement on Saturday.

“The Department of Athletics, the president and the dean of students are fully aware of the situation,” Byrne said. “This matter is in police hands and we will fully cooperate and assist them as needed. At this point we will have no further comment.”