Women’s tennis breaks even

The Arizona women’s tennis team managed to stave off what could have been a four-match losing streak on Friday, handily defeating Washington State 6-1.

The Wildcats (6-4, 1-2 Pacific 10 Conference) rolled from the beginning, claiming the doubles point for the second week in a row, with all three doubles matches in Arizona’s favor against the Cougars (3-11, 0-5).

“”We finally see the results of the hard work we put in doubles and we’re becoming a good doubles team, which will help a lot down the line,”” said senior Danielle Steinberg.

Arizona also excelled in its singles game as Steinberg, Natasha Marks, Sarah Landsman, Ariane Masschelein, and Claire Rietsch emerged from their respective matches victorious.

WSU’s Bianca Selaru defeated sophomore Jane Huh 7-5, 10-6 as Huh replaced Debora Castany in the lineup at the No. 6 spot this weekend.

“”We have the luxury where we can rotate the lineup a little bit,”” said UA head coach Vicky Maes. “”Our No. 6 has been a weakness. … We simply have to do a better job, whoever winds up in that position.””

In Saturday’s match against No. 23 Washington (8-5, 1-3), the Wildcats had found success in doubles, as all three teams came up with wins against the Huskies.

However, they were unable to hold onto an overall victory for the day, as only Steinberg and Landsman were able to defeat their opponents in singles.

“”Obviously for us to win the doubles both days is really big,”” Maes said. “”I’m very pleased about that. I expected Washington State to not be as tough as Washington based on their results, but both times we had to fight for the doubles. There’s a lot more teamwork going on, definitely a step in the right direction.””

Added Steinberg: “”Friday was a good match for us. Maybe Washington State is not a good team on paper, but those are the tricky matches where you have to take care of business. Saturday, we had it, we just came up short. … The matches we lost were all third set and we were right there. We needed that break and we didn’t get it.””

Maes said that she was not displeased with her team’s effort against Washington, in spite of the loss.

“”The girls played solid singles all around, which gave us confidence going into Washington. We just came up a little short,”” she said.

Added Steinberg: “”I really believe we’ll get one match that will just turn everything around, and we’ll just take off from there,”” said Steinberg. “”This is a good team, and we’re improving every week.””

M-tennis beats UC-Irvine, New Mexico State

The UA men’s tennis team is on fire.

This weekend, the Wildcats proved themselves worthy of their top-20 ranking, as they defeated No. 70 New Mexico State 6-1 on Friday and No. 75 UC-Irvine 6-1 on Saturday.

No. 17 Arizona was able to secure the doubles point against both teams, claiming two of the three doubles matches both days.

The Wildcats (11-1) continued their domination into the singles front with Jay Goldman, Andres Arango, Andres Carrasco, Pat Metham, and Jason Zafiros claiming convincing victories over the Aggies (8-4).

“”Fire, fire, fire,”” Carrasco said of the key to his team’s continued success. “”I feel this weekend was important for us because we knew we were better than these teams. They’re good, but they weren’t as good as some teams we have played.

“”Still, the fire was there just as much for us. I’m happy about that,’ he added. “”That’s the way we have to do it to keep winning.””

Against the Anteaters (4-6), the Wildcats saw an altered lineup due to a coaching decision to rest Goldman in the No. 1 spot, as he wasn’t feeling 100 percent. Zafiros, who has been a solid contender at the No. 6 spot all season, was moved to the No. 5 spot, where he bested Irvine’s Stephen Sege 6-4, 6-2. Zafiros remains undefeated in the twelve singles matches in which he has competed this season.

“”Jay was feeling some pain,”” Carrasco said. “”The coaches thought it would be good to give him some rest. It’s good that we can rest our No. 1 player, and we could still step up and win.

“”It’s a new challenge to play in a different position. I love playing another position because I play better players,”” he added, “”but the guys above me are doing great and I’m happy with that.””