Arizona Wildcats embark ITA Kickoff Weekend

Griffin Riley

The Arizona men’s tennis team’s sophomore Carlos Hassey watches as his partner celebrates after scoring in their first match on Jan. 20.

It is ITA Kickoff Weekend, and the Arizona men’s tennis team is heading to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on Notre Dame on Saturday, Jan. 25 at 11 a.m.  The winner from these matches will go on to play the winner between Texas Christian University and FAU in what should be strong competition all across the board based on the most recent ITA team rankings putting TCU at No. 8. 

It would be no surprise for the Wildcats, however, to give TCU a run for their money after their strong start to their spring season last weekend, where they went 4-0 overall, having only given up a total of three points: one doubles points and two singles. The Wildcats hope that its playing style in Fort Worth will mirror what they’ve been projecting in the fall season and already during the spring. 

Players to look out for based on last week’s meet at Northern Arizona University include Alejandro Reguant, Nick Lagaev and Connor Olsen, as they hardly gave away any games in their singles matches. Filip Malbasic and Reguant are also ranked in the top 100 at 36 (Malbasic) and 86 respectively, so having those titles should certainly put fear into the eyes of competitors. 

Additionally, doubles teams of Jonas Ziverts/Stewart Block, Igor Karpovets/Filip Malbasic and Alejandro Reguant/Jared Horwood all won their matches last week and are looking like they are on track to continue that trend. 

The Arizona tennis team is looking strong and is heading into their first meet with some intense competition. Spectators will certainly be able to see the work and preparation the Wildcats have put into this 2020 spring season as they drop shot, Ace and overhead their opponents. 

Follow Johnnie Mitchell on Twitter