Police Beat: April 16

Thirsty Thursday strikes back

A UA student was taken from Coronado Residence Hall to the University of Arizona Medical Center due to extreme intoxication at 4:34 a.m. on April 11.

The student had been on a bathroom floor vomiting, before he began to yell for help, according to his roommate and several students. The students then notified their resident assistant, who contacted the University of Arizona Police Department.

When UAPD officers arrived, Student Emergency Medical Services and the RA were already assessing the student. The man was “not making any sense,” according to the police report.

The student, who was unable to communicate with police and paramedics due to his “obvious” signs of intoxication, was identified by an Arizona identification card. SEMS then contacted the Tucson Fire Department who later took the student to UAMC.

A narrow escape

Two UA students were cited and released for underage drinking after nearly being struck by cars while crossing Sixth Street at 12:50 a.m. on April 10.

A UAPD officer observed two women crossing the street at an area that is not a marked crosswalk or intersection, before almost being struck by vehicles traveling in both directions.

The officer stopped the women, who both apologized for crossing and said they were trying to get a ride to Jett’s Wildcat.

While both of the students admitted to being underage and showed signs of intoxication, one admitted to drinking off-campus at an unidentified location, while the other denied drinking and refused a breath test.

The women were then cited and released. A code of conduct referral was not completed because the students had not been on campus grounds when crossing the street.

Up on the rooftop

UA employees reported “some sort of bong” on the roof of the Shantz building at 11:04 a.m. on April 10.

When UAPD officers went to the building, they were met by two UA Facilities Management staff members. While conducting maintenance to rooftop air systems, the two found a homemade bong, a pipe and corkscrew, they said. The workers showed police where they found the items, which, upon inspection, showed no accompanying contraband.

The employees said they hadn’t been on the roof for 90 days, but had found drug paraphernalia there in the past.

The items were then collected and placed into UAPD property and evidence.