Odeen Mays Jr. to play Monterey Court Jazz Festival tonight

Odeen Mays Jr., the Grammy winning vocalist previously of Kool and The Gang fame, will be bringing his immaculate vocal range and rich musicality to Tucson today.

Mays will be showcasing his talents as part of the Monterey Court Jazz festival at the newly revamped Monterey Court Amphitheater, located on Miracle Mile.

As a veteran of the music industry and having served 24 years with Kool and The Gang, Mays is now venturing out on his own. He’s recently opened for John Legend on a string of national dates, and is using his solo career as a platform to spread positivity. “I want people to get this message, that they want to do better as a human being today than yesterday,” said Mays.

It’s also that sense of positivity that’s supposed to act as a buffer for his listeners between themselves and their burdens. As a soul singer, Mays feels that it’s part of his duty to do so, and his combination of classic funk, smooth jazz, and Memphis soul elements allow him to do just that.

“Most people that hear my music listen to it because it’s actually musical — it has some groove to it. My words eliminate the one thing that conflicts with the rest of [my listeners’] lives.”

Catch Odeen Mays Jr. and the Peter Swan Trio tonight at the Monterey Court Jazz Festival at 505 W. Miracle Mile. Tickets are $12.