GradFest makes the grade

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

GradFest at the UABookstore. Tuesday, Oct.26.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat GradFest at the UABookstore. Tuesday, Oct.26.

The semiannual GradFest changed it up this semester to accommodate various kinds of students.

GradFest offers a one-stop shop for graduating students to get their caps, gowns, diploma frames and all others things commencement, by setting up tables in the back of the UofA Bookstore for a three-day stint.

This semester, GradFest extends its second day an extra two hours to give nonconventional and night students time to access the GradFest sales and also moves the event inside, according to a UofA Bookstore representative.

“”I think GradFest is kind of an anticipated event,”” said Kurtis Durfey, with UofA Bookstore’s marketing and creative design. “”It’s coming to get their cap, their gown.””

Representatives from Jostens, a graduation product company, and a portrait photographer offering free sessions and a free thumbnail are at the event.

GradFest also gets to participate in the “”university pride”” products like memory books and class rings, according to Durfey.

Durfey said he was “”really excited”” about extending the open hours of the event. He graduated last semester with his master’s in business administration from the Eller College of Management and thought extended hours could give professional students who work during the day and go to school at night a chance to attend no matter what time of year they are graduating.

“”It’s a little bit smaller in the fall than in the spring,”” Durfey said. “”But it’ll still be in the bookstore in the spring.””

Many students attending the event had positive reactions overall.

Samuel Vill, a business management senior, said he was only there for a little while, but thought the fest had everything he needed.

“”I don’t know how else people get their caps and gowns,”” Vill said. “”But the emails were out, it was known, and then it was just that I had the time and could stop by.””

Carly Gordon and Ashley Williams also took advantage of GradFest.

“”It’s easy, it’s convenient, it’s fast,”” Gordon, an elementary education senior, said. “”No lines at all.””

Wiliams, a senior in bilingual teaching and Spanish, called the moment “”bittersweet.””

“”It’s surreal,”” Gordon said of graduating.

Durfey noted the placement of GradFest in the year comes before the rush of finals in order to allow students access to discounted laptops, software and alumni apparel.

“”So if people don’t catch this one and are graduating in May, they can catch the next one,”” Durfey said. “”It’s about getting people to make that mental note … before it’s a week before commencement and they realize they don’t have a cap and gown.””