Students ‘charm’ fashion world

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Dana Constantino, left, a family studies and human development junior, and Alyssa Wasko, a retailing and consumer sciences junior, rock their Donni Charm scarves in their Campus Crossings University Heights apartment on Friday, April 2. Constantino and Wasko are the founders and designers of the up-and-coming Donni Charm fashion line.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Dana Constantino, left, a family studies and human development junior, and Alyssa Wasko, a retailing and consumer sciences junior, rock their Donni Charm scarves in their Campus Crossings University Heights apartment on Friday, April 2. Constantino and Wasko are the founders and designers of the up-and-coming Donni Charm fashion line.

UA students Alyssa Wasko  and Dana Constantino have more than an ordinary friendship; they are business partners. Not only are they best friends, sorority sisters and roommates, but they also share a special bond through the business they created: Donni Charm.

Wasko, a pre-business and retailing and consumer science junior, explained that the company is an expansion of her fashion hobby.

“”Donni Charm was not planned,”” Wasko said. “”It is what I like to call a happy accident.””

Wasko first realized how unique her fashion talent was when she gave a scarf that she had made to Constantito, a family studies and human development junior. From then on, the compliments and demand for these unique scarves didn’t stop coming, thus Donni Charm was created.

However, what sets this clothing company apart is the inspiration behind the name. Donni Charm was named after Wakso’s father, Donald, who passed away two years ago.

“”When my father passed away, Donni Charm was a really good way to channel my energy and a kind of coping mechanism for me,”” Wasko said. “”Naming the company after him seemed like the perfect thing to do.””

Every piece of clothing has a charm on it that represents a positive aspect of life. Some of the charms are angel wings, hearts, fleur-de-lis and peace signs. These different charms give meaning to the company slogan, “”a charming way to remember the people you love.””

While Donni Charm’s merchandise started out as just scarves, it is expanding to tank tops and T-shirts, as well.

“”Scarves will always be the foundation of our company because of the significance behind them,”” Wasko said.

The clothing line is meant to fit almost anyone’s style. Buyers have been everyone from girls in elementary school to grandmothers.

Wasko and Constantino have gotten a positive reaction to the meaning of their products and how they have been able to benefit the lives of others.

“”People have really connected with our product and the meaning behind it. We had a friend come to us to design a line for lung cancer, and the proceeds were donated to lung cancer research,”” Constantino said.

Products from Donni Charm are sold in boutiques across the country. Patti Weinstein, an employee of the Colorado boutique Roxy, said the scarves have “”wonderful sentimental value”” and added that “”sales are excellent.””

The company’s scarves have been seen in magazines such as US Weekly and have been worn by actress Jessica Biel.