Arizona baseball team sweeps Creighton in quick two-game set

Danielle Main

Arizona’s sophomore Noah Turley up to bat during game against Washington State on Saturday, April 9 at Hi Corbett Field. The final score was a 6-5 lose for the wildcats.

After a series loss against Utah, the Arizona baseball team bounced back quickly, concluding their road trip with a sweep of Creighton University in a quick two-game set. Here is how each game went down. 

Monday: Arizona wins 6-0

In a bullpen game for the Wildcats, Holden Christian opened with two shutout innings. 

It was a pitcher’s duel as both teams were held scoreless through six innings. George Arias Jr. tossed a scoreless third inning before Anthony Susac went three scoreless, allowing two hits to go along with five strikeouts and one walk.

Tony Bullard broke the scoreless tie with a solo home run in the seventh inning. The Wildcats tacked on 3 runs in the eighth inning and 2 runs in the ninth inning to blow the game open.

Jonathan Guardado, Quinn Flanagan and Trevor Long closed out the shutout in the final three frames.

Daniel Susac was the lone Arizona hitter to collect multiple hits. Mac Bingham drove in 2 runs.

RELATED: Arizona baseball team drops series against Utah 

Tuesday: Arizona wins 3-1

Christian opened the game again for the Wildcats. Creighton struck first with 1 run in the opening inning and that is all they would score on the night.

The Wildcat hitters were again held scoreless through five innings, collecting just three hits in that span.

They were finally able to find the scoreboard in the sixth inning, plating all 3 runs they would score on the night and it was all they needed. Bullard and Noah Turley each came through with RBI singles.

It was a successful series for the Arizona pitchers, holding Creighton to 1 run in the two games combined. They will look to carry this momentum into a series this weekend at home against  ASU. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. MST on Friday at Hi Corbett Field.

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter