GymCats drop final meet of the season, sights set on Pac-12 Championships

Carmen Valencia

The UA Women’s Gymnastics team huddles together after their win over Iowa State on Jan. 21.

Arizona women’s gymnastics wrapped up their regular season Friday night with a lost in a tough battle against Brigham Young University, 196.350 to 195.525 leaving them with a Pac-12 Conference record of 1-5 heading into the Pac-12 Championships.

Starting off the meet on the uneven bars senior Krysten Howard performed a piked jaeger followed earning her a 9.775. Senior Selynna Felix-Terrazas performed a solid routine ending with an “Arizona Stick” earning her a season high of 9.900. Continuing the momentum, freshman Christina Berg kept the numbers high earning a 9.850 followed by senior Madison Cindric returned to the lineup for the first time since Maryland. Cindric came out strong earning her a new season high of 9.750.

The Wildcats and Cougars put up tough battles as they went into the second rotation tied with 49.050. The GymCats rotated to vault where senior Gabby Laub performed her Yurchenko followed by a small hop earning her a 9.775. Cindric got height off the fault earning her a 9.800 followed by sophomore Lauryn Mattson who showed control in her vault earning her a 9.825.

The GymCats soon fell behind the Cougars 98.200 to 97.825 going into the third rotation.

Howard came back in the third rotation on the floor strong bringing the heat earning her a 9.850 followed by another strong performance by junior Kennady Schneider. Schneider stuck her double pike and finished her routine with major height on her double back tuck earning her a 9.825. Cindric closed out the third rotation with a double pike ending with a double back tuck earning her a 9.850.

“Going into floor I wasn’t really nervous,” Schneider said. “I’m used to having a lot of pressure put on me to hit for the team. I know my role, and at this point in my career, I have nothing to lose. I’m extremely experienced on floor, and it’s not difficult for me to remove myself from meet politics and do great gymnastics.”

Arizona continued to trail BYU going into the fourth and final rotation on beam. Howard started the Cats off fully balanced landing her layout series solid followed by an “Arizona Stick” earning her a 9.875, but the GymCats were unable to maintain the stability. Schneider came out strong with a front toss series ending with an Arizona Stick earning her a 9.850. Cindric finished the meet for the GymCats with a secure and stable routine as ending with another Arizona Stick earning her a new career high of 9.925.

“I’ve always been an underdog on beam,” Schneider said. “If you asked me three years ago I would have never guessed that I would be in a college lineup. Noticing that the team was shaky before me did make me nervous. I had to remind myself how far I’ve come this year on beam. I see myself as a turning point in the lineup this event and I know when I need to flip it around for the team.”

The Cougars kept the final score tight and ended with the win over the GymCats 196.350 to 195.525.

“It certainly is nice to have Madison Cindric back in the line-up as an all-rounder,” said Arizona head coach Tabitha Yim. “She really shined tonight as did Krysten Howard. Kennady Schneider is another solid contributor who we have leaned on throughout the year. The team struggled closing out the meet and we need to toughen up and enter the post-season with a new mentality and attitude to finish what we start.”

The GymCats are on their way to the Pac-12 Championships where they will compete in session one on Saturday, March 18 at 1 p.m.,  followed by session two at 6 p.m. The Pac-12 Championships will be aired on the Pac-12 Networks.

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter