“UMC press conference announces Giffords’ condition, family of Ronald Barber speaks”

The family of patient Ronald Barber speaks at UMC on Wednesday Jan 12.  Barber was one of the victims of Saturdays shooting and is currently in good condition.
The family of patient Ronald Barber speaks at UMC on Wednesday Jan 12. Barber was one of the victims of Saturday’s shooting and is currently in good condition.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ recovery is “”going as anticipated,”” announced Dr. Peter Rhee, medical director of UMC’s trauma and critical care and professor of surgery at UA’s College of Medicine Department of Surgery.

Doctors gave an update on the six patients in the hospital who were injured in the shooting that occurred last Saturday.  

“”One patient remains in a critical condition, two are serious, and three are in good condition,”” Rhee said.

“”One of the patients got upgraded to ‘serious’ for a little while because they were on a ventilator machine right after he was in surgery,”” he added, though he said this is normal.

In regards to Giffords, Rhee explained that at this time, things “”could go very slowly in progress or go very rapidly at times too.””

“”Things can actually go in a negative fashion and downward as well,”” Rhee said. “”I’m happy to say none of the downward events have occurred… Which is everything we wanted to happen at this point.””

Doctors have decreased the amount of sedation they are giving to Giffords, which Rhee said has made her more responsive.

The family of patient 65-year-old Ronald Barber, who worked with Giffords, said they expect him to be released from the Intensive Care Unit this Thursday.

“”We are very sad about this tragic event. We are very grateful that my dad is alive, but we are very sad about the people who have lost their loved ones,”” said Jenny Douglas, Barber’s daughter.

“”He remembers it all very clearly,”” she said of the shooting that took place last Saturday. “”We cannot share what he said. But he remembers it all.””

Douglas reported that Barber repeatedly shows concern about Giffords.

“”He wants to see her. He asks me about her every night… and they are working to arrange that.””