Wildcats fall to Mississippi State 67-57 in 2K Classic Finals

Annie Marum

The second half comeback that pushed Arizona into the finals of the 2K Sports Classic never came for the Wildcats against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

The Arizona Wildcats men’s basketball team lost for the first time this season, falling 67-57 to the Mississippi State on Friday in Madison Square Garden.

Unlike against St. John’s on Thursday, Arizona (4-1), struggled shooting from the field in the last 10 minutes of the game. Mississippi State was able to close it out with a 10-2 run.

While Arizona never led in the contest, it threatened continually, coming within one point several times before the Bulldogs pulled away.The Wildcats shot just less than 40 percent in the contest.

Despite playing limited time in the first half, Mississippi State (4-1) forwards Arnett Moultrie and Renardo Sidney gave the Wildcats problems inside. Moultrie, the tournaments MVP, finished with a double-double, recording 19 points and 10 rebounds. Because of foul trouble, he played just five minutes in the first half, but still had 9 points. Sidney finished with 8 points and two rebounds.

Forward Solomon Hill was Arizona’s leading scorer with 12 points and nine rebounds. Jesse Perry finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The Wildcats were 6-of-20 from beyond the arc.

Arizona fell behind early, going down 7-0 just two minutes into the game. The Bulldogs were able to build double-digit lead before the Wildcats threatened to make it close again. The Bulldogs lead 35-34 at halftime.

Arizona will host San Diego State on Nov. 23 at 6:30 p.m. in McKale Center.

By the numbers:
• 4 — Jesse Perry recorded his fourth double-double in five games.
•6 — After hitting 14 3-pointers in Thursday’s game against St. John’s, the Wildcats hit just six on Friday against Mississippi State.
•13-6 — Arizona’s all-time record at Madison Square Garden